What to look for when buying a gen 2 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captainjerky

Reaction score
Gone and done it!

Well, I used all your advice and everything I've accumulated over the years and picked out a 2005 Eddie Bauer. I'll post a picture in an appropriate forum when I get it in a few days. Really excited; everything seems to be in great shape and it doesn't even have any bubbling pain on the tailgate!
Thanks again for all your advice. I can't wait to pull our camper with it!

billycuth

Reaction score
A couple of things that were mentioned already that I noticed on my 06:

Some rust underneath the runningboards.
The drip rails on the roof had some cracking of the paint, but no rust.
DVD player, but no headphones.

A couple of things that I noticed that weren't mentioned:
Inside the bottom of the rear hatch, a TON of the paint was flaking off, exposing the aluminum.
The driver's side puddle light was out. It's like a $30-$40 bulb. So that sucks.
The little compartment on the drivers side in the trunk - the door latch/lock was broken and the door would fall right off.

AbbottTheTank

Reaction score
thanks for this thread...I'm heading to the title department today to finalize the deal on a 04 XLT...it was helpful to have this to refer to

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know when they changed the from the 2v to the 3v 5.4, but I have one if the very first 2nd gens(Jan/03) and it still has the 2v. So no can phaser problems for me, but less power. And obviously the faded XLT trim, which I took care of with a couple rattle cans. Cruise control doesn't work, can't figure that one out....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1 would think he's a FORD mechanic...but he's E/E

I don't know when they changed the from the 2v to the 3v 5.4, but I have one of the very first 2nd gens(Jan/03) and it still has the 2v. So no cam phaser problems for me, but less power. And obviously the faded XLT trim, which I took care of with a couple rattle cans. Cruise control doesn't work, can't figure that one out....

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ebuqeju2.jpg
I don't know when they changed the from the 2v to the 3v 5.4, but I have one if the very first 2nd gens(Jan/03) and it still has the 2v. So no can phaser problems for me, but less power. And obviously the faded XLT trim, which I took care of with a couple rattle cans. Cruise control doesn't work, can't figure that one out....

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another issue not mentioned is rust underneath the wheel well cladding on those models with it. It will be completely concealed so you'll need to get inside the wheel wells. usually the rear. near the door opening and dog-leg. I know because mine was riddled with it. Since then, I have seen some retail priced, extra clean, seemingly well maintained Expy's and Navi's that looked great, but had severe rust issues that most typical buyers would probably miss. Here is a picture of my left rear quarter after I removed the trim. I ground off the rust.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2005 is when they changed from 2v to 3v