What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread by any means, but I've got a 2014 Expy EL Limited with 27,*** on it and it's giving me fits with hesitation, the speedo stops working, and the display goes to ----. Ran a code reader on it, popped a P0720, output speed shaft sensor. Kinda bummed about it being that the miles are so low. Anybody have a similar issue?
It's still under warranty take it to the dealer. You have 3 years or 36,000 on the standard warranty.

EllisFam2010

Reaction score
It's still under warranty take it to the dealer. You have 3 years or 36,000 on the standard warranty.
I wish I could. It was originally purchased in December 2013, warranty expired December 2016 according to my local dealer (not where it was originally purchased). Tried that.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread by any means, but I've got a 2014 Expy EL Limited with 27,*** on it and it's giving me fits with hesitation, the speedo stops working, and the display goes to ----. Ran a code reader on it, popped a P0720, output speed shaft sensor. Kinda bummed about it being that the miles are so low. Anybody have a similar issue?
its best to start a new thread with your issues in the title, it will just get buried in this thread

Wali4vr

Reaction score
If the gen3 unit has been used in any state, county, or city that uses liquid chemical or even just old fashion plain rock salt beware. Take a hard look at inner and outer rocker panels, radiator support, and any other rusted steel in the under carriage. That includes suspension parts and connection points. Caveat emptor...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ThwopKing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the gen3 unit has been used in any state, county, or city that uses liquid chemical or even just old fashion plain rock salt beware. Take a hard look at inner and outer rocker panels, radiator support, and any other rusted steel in the under carriage. That includes suspension parts and connection points. Caveat emptor...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
that's what scares me about looking at gen3.... we had an EL traded in at our dealership and it looked great till we put it in the air. Rockers were rusty as hell.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what scares me about looking at gen3.... we had an EL traded in at our dealership and it looked great till we put it in the air. Rockers were rusty as hell.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
The Gen 2s were worse. I had my 17 rust proofed by Ziebart and I take it back once a year for touch up and they reapply the rust proofing gel, and soundproofing. I'm hoping it will extend the life of the metal. I also use the underbody wash in the winter at the local car wash.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm in NJ where the state uses liquid ice melt on the highways and towns use varieties of rock said. I was just under my 2003 Expedition XLT and it has bad rust everywhere. It's really bad on the pillar where the upper control arms and struts mount so that's another place to check.

She's got over 310K and is starting to have some issues so since I'm starting a new job, I figured I'd get a new Expedition. Took a look at a 2012 EL King Ranch but my mechanic found a few issues. Has anyone had problems with the oil pan gaskets? Are they difficult to change? Also saw green on the drain tube for the rear AC/heat, don't know if its coolant or AC oil. Both rear heat and AC seem to be working but something is leaking. Anyone have problems with them? Neither running board stows, do they have separate motors or just one? Is that a big deal to fix? Saw the pitting not he engine block and heads that so many have mentioned. Is this a concern or just cosmetic? My biggest concern is a noise that sounds like the front hubs seem to engage and disengage while driving under light load in 2WD mode. Could it be a vacuum leak? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for all your insight...

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Green isn't coolant, the coolant in the 12 is orange, so it's probably A/C, or just deposits from water draining. If it still works, I wouldn't be too concerned.

My 12 has weeped from the oil pan gasket from the day I bought it. It doesn't drip on my driveway at all, so I haven't done a thing about it. I am running Mobil 1 High Mileage in the hope that it might swell the gasket a little and get it to stop, but I probably won't do anything else unless it starts dripping. Replacing it isn't exactly easy, shop manual lists it as 2.7hrs, you gotta drop the front axle (on 4x4, anyway).

Running boards are separate motors (1 per side) and they are easy to change but very expensive unless you buy some Chinese knock-off motors, though those actually look pretty legit.

4x4 issue is probably the vacuum solenoid or check valve, I haven't heard many stories of failure on the IWEs in the newer Expys.

Last edited: