What type of Trans fluid do I use on a 97 Expedition witha 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spsfrank98

Reaction score
I received the b&m drain plug today from ups. I'm assuming the plastic washer goes on the outside of the pan but I'm thinking about using a brass washer so it doesn't crack and leak. Has anyone had luck doing this. Just apprehensive before doing the work

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw a post online that showed a piggyback type drain plug, that went into the drilled hole. It had washers on both sides, and a small drain plug in the middle. The guy said he was brazing it from the inside of pan. Is your plug a self tapping type? You'll need to drill your hole right the first time, their is no second chance. Keep us posted how it turns out. What a shame Ford stopped with both the drain plug, and the drain on the torque converter. I think it was 2001 when they stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
E4OD Trans: 97's didn't have a drain plug. I put the mag-hytec pan on mine after towing coast to coast so i had 8 qts more fluid circulating around. it also has a recessed o-ring that can be reused many times vice replacing. it also comes with both a drain plug and a 1/8 npt port for the trans temp gauge if you go that route.

change the fluid every 25K due to trailering and also have an inline b&m filter to keep it super clean. had torque converter replaced when it was less than a year old by big blue oval as the o/d light started flashing one day.

the latest recommended fluid is mercon V. get the filter from the dealer and keep it just like new. FMC: YC3Z7A098BA

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the 4r100 that came with the drain plug, couldn't tell you. Does anyone have a first edition with 4r70 that has drain plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni