What weight bars to choose for WD hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyMMA

Reaction score
Hello,

So we have our 30' outback which is actually more like 34' tip to tail. With the current WD setup it only uses friction plates for sway. I had upgraded to dual friction plates but still more play than I want.

So I've upgraded my tire to Yoko Geolanders G015. If you haven't looked at these tire do. In the 20" size they are an extra load tire so a little stiffer and can be pressed to almost 50#. That will help with any sidewall play I was getting from the Bridgestone (junk).

Next I want to upgrade hitches. My GVTW is Approx 7700#, 770 tongue. I want to upgrade to the Blue Ox sway pro. Now I've found a couple locally used, maybe 1 season total each and was wondering which bar weight I would want.

I was originally going to go with the 1000/10000 setup, but found a 1500/15000 setup for a better price. My question is if I would be ok with the 1500# bars or would they be too strong and unload the rear of the truck. The 750/7500 model would be undersized.

Thanks for any advice. I liked the look and design of the blue ox, thought about equalizer but heard issues with noise. Can't be any worse than two friction plate sways cranked all the way up and going through a rest stop / gas station.

For what it worth, I have the air suspension.

Thanks again,
Matt

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why a blue ox, and not an Equalizer E4, just curious? We have a Keystone Outback 293UBH, and have a GVWR of 7600, so we are closed to the same. I got the 1000/10000 and it works awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971