What year expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the past few days I've run into two different guys, asking me what year expedition they should buy. The first guy I saw outside of the 7/11 store here in S.F. I thought about it for a minute, knowing the spark plug issues on first gen's, then I thought about all the problems that second gens have with fuel pump relays, cam phasers, fuel pump modules. I finally said 2007 or newer. Today I had another guy admiring my 2000 expy, and he said he wanted a first edition. I told him besides the thread issue with the heads, I've been relatively happy. Sealing the windshield he'll figure out. What year would you guys say is the best overall, fewest problems, up to year 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go for 1st gen 2000 because of its solid rear axle, its more like a truck than an suv. Especially in your area, a lot of spare parts are available. Despite all the design quirks, its still manageable.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky, that's exactly what I have, a 2000.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I have a 2000 4WD EB and a 2011 4WD XLT Plus (that's really an EB without the nameplate. Ford was in a contract dispute with EB at the time.), both of which I've had since new. My 2000 has 283K on it and the 2011 has 113K. The only non-wear items that have broken on the 2000 are the intake manifold (plastic) and the electronic component of the ABS. I took the ABS controller apart and sent the electronic unit out for repair and put it back together again. The ABS has worked perfectly for five more years now. I have the original coils, original O2 sensors and have never spit a plug. I have paid Ford to change the plugs every 100K using my plugs. Most everything else I do myself including oil changes and tranny fluid changes. It has been a remarkably reliable SUV. I've gone through a few alternators, ball joints, wiper motor, lots of brakes and other stuff, most of which I've changed myself. It burns about a pint of oil every 1000 miles now, but that's not bad for 5.4 with 283K on it. The windshield never leaked. The only issue the 2011 had was with the seat heater and I paid Ford to fix it. It burns no oil. I changed the plugs myself at 105K and it was remarkably easy. Took about 45 minutes. Nothing is in the way of the coils on the 2011. If you're buying a used one it will depend on how it was maintained, but I've had very good luck with the 2000 and 2011. The 2000 is built like a truck with the solid axle docraymond mentioned and I keep telling my kids it's the best car/truck I've ever owned (and I've owned 14 that I can remember). That said, the 2011 is pretty nice too with the independent rear suspension. It rides nicely, has 20% more HP with it's 5.4 3V than the 5.4 in the 2000, and gets about 15% better gas mileage than the 2000 did at the same age. I am looking forward to inheriting the 2011 from my wife when the 2000 eventually dies. They got rid of the 5.4 when they finally worked all the bugs out.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another vote for the 2000.

I've only owned mine for about 27,000 miles (202,000 on the odometer) but it's been pretty solid. My starter solenoid died and I got strap towed home after work, but it was running again before I went to bed that night. My fuel pump was replaced- not because it died but because the float came off the level sender and I figured I might as well replace it. The intake manifold was replaced along with plugs and coils. Steering components and shocks were replaced. Brake pads and rotors were replaced. Front unit bearings were replaced. Alternator was replaced. Fan clutch and water pump were replaced.

Most of what I listed above are wear items. Most were done as preventative maintenance.

I wrestled with the decision to keep it or not now that it has crested that "200,000 mile barrier" but now I'm solidly in the "keep it" camp. Other than the "high" mileage, there's really nothing mechanically wrong with it.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems 2000 is a good year. It's amazing with the success Ford had with first gen's, they started adding troublesome items on 2003-2006. Seems like they got it under control around 2008 or so. With this many electrical accessories, your bound to have issues. The problem is to find a low mileage 17 year old vehicle. Thanks for the responses guys, I'm sure I'll get more questions I seem to get people asking me a lot lately.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
Yes, on the 2000 I've done wheel bearings, control arms, brake calipers, etc, but consider those all wear items. The problem may be in buying a high mileage one that has none of those things done. You could be into some real money. The intake manifold with labor is probably at least $1K. (Lousy plastic manifolds.) Now add in ball joints, brake calipers, wheel bearings, and plugs (and maybe coils) and you start talking about some real money. The trick would be to find a low mileage 2000 or a high mileage 2000 that has been well taken care of. If I found one of those myself I'd consider buying it for my kids.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck finding either. I got that lucky though. I bought mine 2 years ago with only 64 k on it. Didn't want it at first, it was so big, but it's been ok so far. Only needed tires, pitman arm, idler arm, starter, last year. It runs so smooth, I don't touch it besides oil changes.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've done all my work myself. That certainly helps with cost. I know that's not always an option.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to also. These days I weigh the options, level of difficulty, time involved, sometimes I still wrench, other times I make a phone call. I put in 45 years of wrenching, sometimes nowadays I like just driving my vehicles, and cleaning those Snap on wrenches!