What's needed to add a second battery to the engine bay ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I wired up my 8 31 group batteries in a series to produce 96 volts to the front pump and the rear pumps connect to the 4 battery in the bank to produce 48 volts.
The interior lights not a issue when the doors/ hatch is open all I do is turn the dimmer switch all the way down until it clicks and it will turn off all the interior lights.
I know what I want it to do but the method to take I'm undecided.
But I'm wanting YouTube videos still to see which method will work best for my needs/wants.
And I definitely want to add a power inverter in the rear

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power inverter will definitely suck up juice. Just for the heck of it, I just tried my dimmer switch on my 2000, it doesn't turn off interior lights like yours, damn! Too much work to pull fuse every time you want to party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea mine is a 03 EB 4x4 5.4 but I'm definitely leaning towards the second battery being in the engine bay.
And jus run a power wire to the back along or inside the frame then drill a hole for it to come up inside the passenger rear cargo quarter and mount a bracket with 2 USB and 2 12v accessories sockets with 2 110v house sockets which the inverter will feed to charge my cordless drill batteries and maybe sometimes a box window fan when fishing in the heat of the summer months on the river banks here in the South.
The inverter I'd like to mount behind the passenger rear cargo quarter panel.
But a isolator switch is what I'm going with..
I'm basically converting it to a expedition type SUV. But is going to be my daily also.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that I know what I want to do after watching 15 different YouTube videos.
I'm going to go look for kit or maybe just and isolator being as I already got some extra 0 gauge Rockford amp wiring..

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ex was from Atlanta, so I can relate to the fan. At 3:00 in the morning it's still in the 70's plus from May to October. One of our electrical genius's on this forum lives in your neck of the woods. Maybe with a little southern charm, you can get him to throw some of his electrical genius your way.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I did on my Expeditions was install a marine battery charger under the hood and use a Honda EU2000i to keep the battery charged and to run other loads. The genset is super quiet.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't want to use a deep cycle battery for your main battery. It's not designed to be run in a starting/ charging situation. I've seen customers that try to run one in the main system, and it swells up the casing, and fails premature, usually within a year. I don't know if you just redirect stock stereo and accessories over to the backup battery. Second batteries are used for camper use as a rule, where wiring for those items like fridge, stove and lighting are wired separately. Deep cycle batteries are designed to run down low on charge, then recharge back to the 12.6 volts. Automotive lead/ acid batteries are not. That's why they don't last long with any high power add on's like amplifiers, or any high current items.

Not sure where you are getting your info from. Deep cycle batteries can be used as starting batttery.
I run a deep cycle (Optima yellow top) as my main and only battery in my 2000 Expedition and both of my Corvettes (98 and 02). I get an average of 7 plus years out of them. The reason I run a deep cycle is for the fact they can be run down and charged back up better than a normal car battery, just like you said. I have massive stereos in all my vehicles, hence the need for the deep cycle battery. I take my Corvettes to car shows and run strobes and LEDs all day and she'll still start up after the shows. With a normal car battery, it would never start after displaying the car all day with the strobes and LEDs on.
I'm thinking the post starter should try a yellow top. (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ery-group-34-78-750-cca-d34-78-950/16210015-P) It might fill his needs without the need for a second battery and associated wiring. The only downfall of using a yellow top battery is the higher cost but it would be cheaper than two batteries and wiring ( good quality 0-gauge wire is $$$).
If money is no object, two IDENTICAL batteries separated by a battery isolator would be best.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I worked as store manager for Oreillys, and saw what happened to the majority of customers that tried what you did. Deep cycle batteries have plates that are spread apart more than a starting battery, and usually give less instant juice necessary for cranking over a car/ truck engine. The yellow top is the premium deep cycle for both optima as well as interstate. This battery system worked for you, but is not recommended by any of the battery/ auto manufacturers. Members ask for recommendations, and everyone has their opinion, but I stand by my 45 years experience with sales/ repairs of these products. Getting 7 years out of a deep cycle is amazing considering their rarely warranted more than 3. Good luck runs with you. Got Fridays lotto numbers? Moose.