Wheel Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Cobra

Reaction score
used-2016-ford-expedition-xlt4wd20blackraptorrimsnewtires-9649-16048339-8-1024.jpg Expedition.jpg I am needing opinions on a wheel choice for my 07 Limited. I like the wheels that are on it except 2 of them are curbed really bad from a car wash from the previous owner (like the Lip is Broken :-(....anywho, I like being different anyway and I had the 08 Harley f150 wheels on my last one and I loved them but I can't afford them right now and they are hard to find, I also love the saleen wheels but it is just not feasible for tires etc...I get 1/2 off on bridgestones twice a year but they don't have a 23"...I am trying to stick with a 20" that I like right now because I have a lot of tread left and its a daily so id rather not have to switch out summer/winter wheels like I did with the Harleys. I need opinions or if someone is awesome with photoshop I would like to see what these 20" black raptor replicas would look like on my expedition? or I am game for someone photoshopping any other Ford wheel on there like the new style in black chrome (even the 22s). I will go with the bigger wheel if I have to to be happy, I just really hate to spend that much right now but I can't stand these curbed wheels! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's mine with 2015 F150 Platinum 20's
expy.jpg

oueCv8Hu7s2QRczO2

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the black would look awesome against the white. Kind of Stormtrooper-esque.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black looks great, but HOT in the solar-saturated western high mountain areas and hardest color to clean and keep clean. Should be plenty of choices for wheels. Good luck!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too had a set of 23 inch Saleens. Black and looked dirty all the time. I'm over black wheels. Believe Yokohoma and General were the only tire makers of 23's, and both had only one offering, coincidentally in the same size- believe it was 305/45. I am on triple chrome plated 22 Harleys, the 2008 style you mentioned.

KevinCar

Reaction score
20170718_143322.jpg

20X9 6-135/139 ET30 XD Bomb ... not the greatest pic. I would price out the tires at the same time as your decision on wheel size. I had a '14 Explorer Sport and went with 18" winter wheels/tires vs 20" (factory) and saved good money as the pricing for the same tire on different wheels can sometimes be significant. How dirty they appear depends on where you are driving them. In PA there are almost no dirt roads... brake dust will dirty your rims before anything else... When visiting family in MI, I'm on dirt roads all the time.. so Sand, mud, are much more prevalent...however the car gets dirty before the rims.

I also have a minivan with more matte black wheels... and those can get dirty...but much less compared to any chrome or polished chrome, much less. We've had white vehicles with tinted windows and have found black wheels complimented them more-so than the chrome or polished aluminum... but that's just our taste... get compliments on the mini-van all the time (which is not what you'd expect driving a minivan)... I had to buy rims for the snow tires so thought it would pop with black...and they do.

OP
OP

04Cobra

Reaction score
I too had a set of 23 inch Saleens. Black and looked dirty all the time. I'm over black wheels. Believe Yokohoma and General were the only tire makers of 23's, and both had only one offering, coincidentally in the same size- believe it was 305/45. I am on triple chrome plated 22 Harleys, the 2008 style you mentioned.

You have any pics of yours?

OP
OP

04Cobra

Reaction score
View attachment 21050

20X9 6-135/139 ET30 XD Bomb ... not the greatest pic. I would price out the tires at the same time as your decision on wheel size. I had a '14 Explorer Sport and went with 18" winter wheels/tires vs 20" (factory) and saved good money as the pricing for the same tire on different wheels can sometimes be significant. How dirty they appear depends on where you are driving them. In PA there are almost no dirt roads... brake dust will dirty your rims before anything else... When visiting family in MI, I'm on dirt roads all the time.. so Sand, mud, are much more prevalent...however the car gets dirty before the rims.

I also have a minivan with more matte black wheels... and those can get dirty...but much less compared to any chrome or polished chrome, much less. We've had white vehicles with tinted windows and have found black wheels complimented them more-so than the chrome or polished aluminum... but that's just our taste... get compliments on the mini-van all the time (which is not what you'd expect driving a minivan)... I had to buy rims for the snow tires so thought it would pop with black...and they do.

Here in Tennessee I don't typically have bad roads etc...we get some snow maybe once a year to amount to anything more than a flurry and I am driving all paved roads etc. The only thing that sucks is when they 'think" its going to snow so they saturate the roads with salt

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357