Wheel/Tire Size Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wisconsinbuck

Reaction score
Hey everyone...my first forum post ever. I've read a lot of posts from everyone out there and appreciate the information and time. My question is as follows:
Just bought a 97 Eddie Bauer and want to put a 3" body lift to accommodate some aggressive tires. Anyone know definitively what I can fit under it with a 3" body hike? From information I've gathered, appears to be 33's or 35's. Also, will I need spacers on the wheels or any additional parts/extensions bedsides the body lift from Summit I plan to order (just bolts, plates and spacers)? Thanks!

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome! . . . to the internet!

J\K

You can go with 33's or 35's but with the 35's you are more likely to have some rubbing against the fender well and mud flaps. This can be somewhat compensated for by adding spacers. Another possibility is to buy a wheel that puts the tires a little further away from the body. And you could combine the two.

The 35's are going to be heavier and take more power to operate, and the ratio is going to throw off the speedometer and affect the torque to the axles and towing.

OP
OP
W

wisconsinbuck

Reaction score
Good Feedback!

Thanks, Capt. Morgan! Your advice is on par with what I've been hearing and I think I will go with either 33's or 35's--depending on what I find for sale in my area and in my price range. Did you have any input on the body lift--whether an Expedition has any additional requirements besides installing the kit? Thanks again.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lift I have is a 3" spacer in the rear and cranked up torsion bars. I wouldn't have done it this way but it was this way when I bought it.

There are plenty of lift threads on the forums and some brands to stick with or stay away from. There are the obvious variable such as parts cost, labor cost, drive train, ride and steering effects.

OP
OP
W

wisconsinbuck

Reaction score
Body LIft

I was just going to order a body lift from Summit or Performance Products for a couple hundred dollars and do the install. Thanks...I'll let ya know what I go with and post some pics...I'm on vacation the next couple weeks, so I plan to have everything done soon. I like those 35's...they look good man. I'm a bit concerned about the 220k miles on the truck, so I may stick with 33's to prevent the extra strain on the motor and drivetrain.