Where exactly to take Expedition 1997 to evaluate potential transmission issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennismv

Reaction score
I live near Ford headquarters (Dearborn, Michigan), and need to take my vehicle for an evaluation and possibly repair.

The problem is that my Transmission Control Indicator Light on the overdrive stick is flashing while driving, and I am experiencing such issues as:
  • when first shifting in reverse after vehicle start, it takes a long time to engage into gear and start moving (i.e. 10-15 seconds, and I occasionally have to re-shift the gear, otherwise, vehicle does not move). If seems that cold weather is possibly affecting this.
  • while driving, especially uphill, I occasionally get strong vibration that seem like they are coming from the back wheels - the body is shaking rapidly and there is a noise very similar to that if I was driving over rumble strips, when in reality I am driving on even pavement. I can feel the vibrations in my seat. Switching Overdrive to ON stops the vibration, but RPM goes up to near-3000 instead of the usual 1500.
I have a choice to take this to a local 3rd party mechanic who "does everything", or first take it to a more authorized place that does more transmission-oriented work, or maybe take it to a Ford specialty shop. Basically I don't know where to take it for an evaluation and a fix.

My goal is to fix it right the first time, and not to spend vast amounts of money on mis-diagnosis or wrong fixes. Can I have a recommendation?

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was me Middle guy. One that knows more about them rather the a “ jack of all trades “ ford way way overpriced.

OP
OP
D

dennismv

Reaction score
Thanks.

My local shop specializes in Oil Change, Used Tires, Brakes, Tune Ups, and Suspension.
and has worked on my car a few times before.
Has eleven reviews totaling 3.1 stars, having some mixed reviews.

The Transmissions shop has 8 reviews, surprisingly all 5-stars (over the last few years)

My plan of operation is - get an estimate of work from the Transmission shop. Pay them $70-75 but no more for evaluation/diagnosis. Hopefully they do not charge more.
And tell them I just want a diagnosis. If they come up with work under $500 they let them fix it.
If over, then instead take the car back to my local shop.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good call most shops charge 1h labor for that give you a list needed with stuff and ball park figure then you can make the call

OP
OP
D

dennismv

Reaction score
Thanks

went to "the middle guy" and turns out
  • I have transmission shudder that happens around 50 mph
  • rear end shudder in the clutches that happens during turns (I haven't noticed it though)
  • there is some issue with the shifter working only part of the time due to broken or loose connection in the steering column.
Also .. hooked it up to the scanner and got these codes:
  • P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1
  • P0174 System Too Lean Bank 2
  • P1728 Transmission Slip Converter clutch fault
The shop said I can still drive like this safely and not worry about it. And that new transmission will cost $2500-3000.

Last edited:

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks

went to "the middle guy" and turns out
  • I have transmission shudder that happens around 50 mph
  • rear end shudder in the clutches that happens during turns (I haven't noticed it though)
  • there is some issue with the shifter working only part of the time due to broken or loose connection in the steering column.
Also .. hooked it up to the scanner and got these codes:
  • P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1
  • P0174 System Too Lean Bank 2
  • P1728 Transmission Slip Converter clutch fault
The shop said I can still drive like this safely and not worry about it. And that new transmission will cost $2500-3000.

Way way overpriced! Unless they are charging exorbitant labor rates they are still stuffing you. http://www.monstertransmission.com/ Sells one already set up for about 2k for 2500-3000 you can get a built trans for towing and performance.

Rear end shudder is friction modifier needs a drain fill only with ford friction modifier.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shifter working part time most likely means that the shift tube is cracked. Very common in 1st gens. That needs to be addressed asap. When the tube snaps( and it will), you will not be able to shift into any gear or put it into park. Been there done that.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
This transmission is on its last legs. I had car, that delayed going into reverse. It went shortly afterward. How long do you plan on keep this vehicle? It is a 1997, with how many miles? The cheapest would be installing a used unit.($250 and $400 labor) Are you a gambler? A rebuild should be no more than $1500, probably more than truck is worth. How are transmission lines? If there bad add another$150. A local transmission shop, should be able to do it. If they been in business a while, they probably do good/honest work. There is a transmission shop in my area. He did my fluid change and was working on a mint,clean southern 1998 Expedition(168K). He said it was $1200 for rebuild. He is one the most honest mechanics, I met.

OP
OP
D

dennismv

Reaction score
I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long long time.. at least a few years more I hope. It has over 217,700 miles on it

and well... the "middle" person I took it to was a place called transmission services, and had all 5 star reviews on Google, which was surprising, so I expected excellence. For comparison, my local 'all-around' mechanic has 3 stars and his reviews were mixed. So, I took it to the transmission services shop, hoping they specialize in transmission issues, and they looked at the car, charged me an evaluation fee and told me "I had nothing to worry about" in regards to the transmission shudder or the rear clutch shudder and noted the issue with the shifter in the steering column, and offered to fix it for $250. They didn't seem to be too worried about letting me go with the car unfixed in any way. They also noted that the steering column has been previously worked on, which is true - I had parts replaced on it due to the entire shifter handle (the button and light) that had broken off on the original shifter So I have a used shifter that was installed and that is failing me now. Chances are something is wrong with it somewhere but I don't know the actual details. Also the shifter has been worked on by the local guy at least 3 times before -- I had to go back 2 times after he fixed it to get it done right and I guess he still didn't get it right, or maybe it just broke. If I trust the transmission guys, my biggest issue is the shifter, and transmission is "not to worry about".

The transmission place also said they do not rebuild transmission but they install new ones.
When you say install a new unit are you talking about new shifter or transmission? Because quoted was $250 altogether for shifter repair, and $2500 or more for installing new transmission (by them).

My current plan is to take all these issues, and bring the car back to the original local guy (one who did the work on replacing the shifter before) and have him take another go at it. He's done much work on various cars I had, and that's why it's my plan. I am however skeptical about whether he can fix the shifter, seeing how he worked on it a few times and it is still having issues.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not the shifter. It's the shift tube. It's a cast aluminum tube that goes from the shifter to the shift cable at the bottom of the column by the firewall. It's most likely cracked. The crack won't show until the tube is removed