Which Combination?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Well as many of you know I trashed the 5.4 in my '99 EB!!! Now my question to you all is, which of the following combos should I use to do the buildup?

1) Troyer Performance Package Stage 4
- 3 Program Superchips Tuner
- 24# injectors
- 190 lph fuel pump
- 90mm MAF
- 75mm Throttle Body
- JBA Headers
- Magnaflow Cats and Complete Exhaust
- Dual 16" Electric Fans
- Underdrives
- Ignition Booster and Denso Plugs
- Factory Tech Valve Body
- Active Tranny Cooling Kit
- Air Force One Intake
Cams would be added by me
- Crower Level 2 Cams .581/.581 276/276 Adv 216/216@ .050
- Meziere Electric Water Pump by JDM Engineering
- witout cams they claim 90-100 HP gains and 90+ TQ gains

OR

2) Troyer Performance Package Stage 5
- Which all of the above except cams
- 42# injectors instead of 24#
- Xcalibrator 2 instead of regular Superchips Tuner
- Allen Engineering Supercharger
- Eaton S-Ported M90 at 5-6 psi
- they claim 150-160 HP Gains and 160+ TQ gains

If I do the Stage 5 I will also do a Snow Performance Methonal Injection since it doesn't go through an intercooler.

My next question is........will a Lightning Intake Plenum http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=49 fit the SOHC 5.4 intakes?

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated I will have teardown pics posted soon also. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put a Lightning blower on it.
Or a better kit.

All parts (other than blower and intake) are here:
http://madenterprise.com/scparts.htm

Troyer's blower is an Eaton M90 that is over-driven out of its efficiency range for a 5.4 even at 5psi. Won't push past 5psi of boost without blowing really hot air. Waste of dough...dyno numbers look like crap. And you can't upgrade to more boost. Ever.

If you like Troyer (I don't but others do), he should be able to tune just about any blower combo so you can still use him...just don't get the M90.

If you want a great, easier bang for the buck, get an intake/exhaust, programmer and change your rear gears to at least 4.10 on stock-ish tires, and 4.56 if you have tires that are around 35-inches.

Last edited:

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need a bigger blower. The m90, while technically able to support the 5.4L, is more appropriate for the 4.6L. Like pronstar said, go with the Lightning swap or with a good centrifugal blower.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well for 5-6 pounds of boost the ported m90 (latest generation) works really well because it will build boost sooner than the lightning unit because of less total clerance between the rotors. The allen kit will work really well with the stock converter and give instant 5 lbs of boost. This will feel better and be more useful for our heavy trucks. And really unless you are going with a forged bottom end pushing it harder with cast pistons is risky. I run 9lbs of boost but only on the very top end. I get 5lbs at 3000 and I wouldn't want to run more than this on pump gas on the stock compression ratio and cast pistons.....

Also the allen kits are intercooled...
http://allen-superchargers.com/Expedition/99-02.html