Which Gen 3 is the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would hope that is the OP really wants a valid answer, he do the market-repair research which is readily available.....because as much as most of us love our present trucks, we ARE VERY BIASED rendering our opinions, jaded.

I'm "on" my 3rd Expy....my 03EB leaked water pretty much from everywhere and although had a ton a features, doesn't matter much if its raining inside as hard as out. It died an early tranny death. The '99 was bulletproof all the way to nearly 230K before rear strut tower rust made it unsafe. They both had the 5.4 but were completely "different" engines. The '99 being great but the 03 was a dog.

I just rolled 38K on my new one....it's by far my favorite.

but remember, my opinion is biased too......

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new GM V8s are capable of going down to 1 cylinder for 2019 it will be interesting. The V8 definitely has its place, especially in heavier duty applications. TFl just did a towing mashup on a Yukon Denali XL vs 2018 Expedition Platinum and the 6.2L V8 won their efficiency test drinking less fuel towing 7,000 pounds. Bigger motors tend to be more efficient than smaller ones when being worked. I really believe it comes down to preference.

Last edited:

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same discussion with a co-worker. Ford's F150 has been the sales leader for what, 40 years? Do you think they would put anything in the vehicle that would mess with that status? If so everyone at the top of the company should be fired.

Also Diesels have had turbos for quite sometime. Many go over a million miles. Would you be afraid of buying a truck with a turbo diesel?

Ford has turbos in nearly all of their cars. If they screw it up, Toyota and Honda would be happy to take their customers.
Thanks to the EPA Ford had to CAN the basically trouble free 7.3 diesel engine in F250's & F350's that over the years ALSO held 1'st place in THEY'RE field and go with the POS 6.0 & later the marginally better 6.4 , SO ,quote, (Do you think they would put anything in the vehicle that would mess with that status) does not hold water even though Ford more or less was forced into that fiasco with the 6.Oh Oh engines by the paper shufflers at the EPA , AND then we have this link from this site, http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/those-with-catch-cans.35495/ , someone else can be the guinea pig on a $60 K truck while this all shakes out be it good or bad and time will tell just like it did with the 6.0 in the diesels, both my boys and myself had 7.3 diesel trucks and when the 6.Oh Oh diesels came out the boys both just had to have the latest & greatest & traded in perfectly good low mileage 7.3 trucks, guess what, they're new trucks are long gone and the old man still has his 16 year old 7.3 that stills runs like the proverbial sewing machine SOOO we will KEEP the wife's 2007 5.4 EB Expy that does not have that stupid knob to select the gears OR that stupid stop / start feature along with a new 10 speed trans while the rest of you good folks do the Echo-Boost twin turbo experiment AND thanks to this site the facts be they good or bad will come out, hopefully you will enjoy your ride while we watch for the side line.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks to the EPA Ford had to CAN the basically trouble free 7.3 diesel engine in F250's & F350's that over the years ALSO held 1'st place in THEY'RE field and go with the POS 6.0 & later the marginally better 6.4 , SO ,quote, (Do you think they would put anything in the vehicle that would mess with that status) does not hold water even though Ford more or less was forced into that fiasco with the 6.Oh Oh engines by the paper shufflers at the EPA , AND then we have this link from this site, http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/those-with-catch-cans.35495/ , someone else can be the guinea pig on a $60 K truck while this all shakes out be it good or bad and time will tell just like it did with the 6.0 in the diesels, both my boys and myself had 7.3 diesel trucks and when the 6.Oh Oh diesels came out the boys both just had to have the latest & greatest & traded in perfectly good low mileage 7.3 trucks, guess what, they're new trucks are long gone and the old man still has his 16 year old 7.3 that stills runs like the proverbial sewing machine SOOO we will KEEP the wife's 2007 5.4 EB Expy that does not have that stupid knob to select the gears OR that stupid stop / start feature along with a new 10 speed trans while the rest of you good folks do the Echo-Boost twin turbo experiment AND thanks to this site the facts be they good or bad will come out, hopefully you will enjoy your ride while we watch for the side line.

SOOOOOOO much fail with this post. Thanks to the EPA all diesel manufacturers had to ditch relatively trouble free engines for motors that had added egr's and dpf's. It was not just a Ford thing.

Its obvious you know very little about the workings of an internal combustion engine and that's ok.

Comparing the 6.0 diesel to the Ecoboost is downright hilarious and should automatically award you with the dumbest statement ever award. The fact that youre comparing a diesel to a gas motor is even more hilarious. The 6.0 lasted 2yrs and pretty much had problems from the onset. So much so Ford had to publicly admit they made a mistake and even buy vehicles back and settle a class action lawsuit. The Ecoboost is going on 9yrs in production and no issues at all like the diesel had, not one. But hey after 9yrs and millions of miles I guess they should start failing left and right any day now. Keep your fingers crossed. Funny thing is the Ecoboost makes more power and torque than yer trusty ol 7.3 ever did. Quite an engineering marvel if you ask me. Stick with your 5.4 if you want, nobody cares. Just because you refuse to live in the now doesn't mean the folks that do are driving ticking time bombs

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If my expy is problematic, back to Toyota I go until they become problematic then onto whatever is rated most reliable.

With how much vehicles have gone up in price (guys are asking for advice on which $80,000 vehicle to buy in the gen 4 forum) we should demand near flawless vehicles that last a long time with regular maintenance.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SOOOOOOO much fail with this post. Thanks to the EPA all diesel manufacturers had to ditch relatively trouble free engines for motors that had added egr's and dpf's. It was not just a Ford thing.

Its obvious you know very little about the workings of an internal combustion engine and that's ok.

Comparing the 6.0 diesel to the Ecoboost is downright hilarious and should automatically award you with the dumbest statement ever award. The fact that youre comparing a diesel to a gas motor is even more hilarious. The 6.0 lasted 2yrs and pretty much had problems from the onset. So much so Ford had to publicly admit they made a mistake and even buy vehicles back and settle a class action lawsuit. The Ecoboost is going on 9yrs in production and no issues at all like the diesel had, not one. But hey after 9yrs and millions of miles I guess they should start failing left and right any day now. Keep your fingers crossed. Funny thing is the Ecoboost makes more power and torque than yer trusty ol 7.3 ever did. Quite an engineering marvel if you ask me. Stick with your 5.4 if you want, nobody cares. Just because you refuse to live in the now doesn't mean the folks that do are driving ticking time bombs
TIME TO GO TO SCHOOL 07xln , A (FORD TECH) TELLS IT LIKE IT IS HERE , PART 1 of 2 parts , New Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!, , Ford Ecoboost Warning PART 2 My Findings , (BORE SCOPES DON'T LIE AT THE 5:52 MARK HERE), , HERE he talks about The Biggest Problem with Ford's Ecoboost Engine & (HOW TO FIX IT): (RX Catch Can step by step Installation) Showing the cause of (the carbon buildup) on the back side of the valves issue to be (DIRECT INJECTION OVER PORT INJECTION) at the 2:56 mark AND look at the valves and the build ON THEM up at the 4:28 mark in this video , , AND the reason for my comment about diesels & gas engines was to refute the statement that Ford would never do something stupid to ruin their 40 year lead as # 1 in light truck sales which is exactly what took place when they rolled out the 6.0 / 6.4 with Variable Vane Turbo's , EGR valve & cooler issues after a 20 year mostly trouble free run with the 6.9 / 7.3 engines going back from 1983 tell 2003 & 1/2, & next time you reply to some one try to be at least CIVIL in your comments about some one you know nothing about, I was working on / with gas & diesel engines BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, consider your self schooled in the above video's and go argue with what the (FORD TEC POSTED) .

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If my expy is problematic, back to Toyota I go until they become problematic then onto whatever is rated most reliable.

With how much vehicles have gone up in price (guys are asking for advice on which $80,000 vehicle to buy in the gen 4 forum) we should demand near flawless vehicles that last a long time with regular maintenance.
Thank you for that , and I will not fault Ford OR the other MFG's on the insane EPA mandates in this country that drive all of this but will how ever fault them for not doing enough testing before we spend our money to find out later we were the beta testers for them :-( , Oh & if the EPA what's to do something about smog & climate change they need to get the rest of the WORLD on China's back and clean up this mess, http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/161219105512-01-china-smog-red-alert-1218-super-169.jpg ,..........AND........., ,https://latimesphoto.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/epa_china-air-pollution.jpg , ....we will never get ahead of that by ever increasing EPA reg's here that drive up the prices on EVERYTHING..........

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that , and I will not fault Ford OR the other MFG's on the insane EPA mandates in this country that drive all of this but will how ever fault them for not doing enough testing before we spend our money to find out later we were the beta testers for them :-( , Oh & if the EPA what's to do something about smog & climate change they need to get the rest of the WORLD on China's back and clean up this mess, http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/161219105512-01-china-smog-red-alert-1218-super-169.jpg ,..........AND........., ,https://latimesphoto.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/epa_china-air-pollution.jpg , ....we will never get ahead of that by ever increasing EPA reg's here that drive up the prices on EVERYTHING..........

The auto manufacturers wouldn’t have it the way it’s going if it was up to them, you have the right idea.

Last edited: