Which muffler for a bit of rumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had a Raptor, 2 1/2" turbo style muffler, welded on, by a local shop. Sounds real nice. Deep tone(at idle, inside truck), but not loud. Driving, is tolerable and you can hear radio and passengers voices, fine. Outside, sounds, like a stock, vintage muscle car. My 2000 XLT 4.6l has 4 converters, they keep the noise down. The mufflers are sold at Advance Auto for $30. The muffler shop welded it on for $25

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the flowmaster. Added one three months ago and I love it.

cb540

Reaction score
I've got Bassani on my '03. It's been on the car since late 03 early 04 and still sounds great. The catch is, I'm not 100% they still make them for early model expys and the system that's on here now was one of their earlier systems and was custom fitted to it and is likely a little different than the current systems. But, overall, Bassani's products are always top quality. I had a their full system headers all the way back on a mustang I used to have. My dad runs them on his corvettes too

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a flo-pro vforce on a truck a few years ago and really liked the sound. Very mellow and some people thought it was stock. Definitely audible when I got on it. I think they are a flowmaster knockoff, not sure which series

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with a Flowmaster 40 series and it sounds good last week and I did a turn down and deleted the pipe that goes from muffler to rear..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This maybe way too late-but I've got an 00 EB 4.6, just added a 3" X 3", Delta 50-series stainless Flowmaster and it's sooo quiet my wife didn't even notice it on a recent road trip!!!
Moral of the story-DON'T go with the 50-series IF you want some rumble, go with what these others are recommending. I kinda wish I would've went with something with a bit more growl, but the 50-series was "repurposed" from my Jeep ZJ project.

OP
OP
ArmyRover

ArmyRover

Reaction score
I ended up going with a thrush 2 chamber welded it is surprisingly good. Also about $30 at advanced auto

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I ended up going with a thrush 2 chamber welded it is surprisingly good. Also about $30 at advanced auto
Good move "Cat Back" systems are really expensive. My Factory tail pipe was Stainless and fine. The front muffler flange, was rotted out. The shop cut it and bent a piece of stock and welded it all up. It took him about 15 minutes total. When it came time to pay, it was a cash deal, $25. The dude stuck it in his pocket.

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
you mentioned family...I've run Flows before and they were way too loud for a family vehicle. The quietest muffler that sounded muscular was a 5 x 11 x 22" Magnaflow...it's almost stealthy but has a muscular rumble at idle and ramps up as you lay into it...also, the 5 x 11 body eliminates the drone, I've run a 5 x 9 body and the drone is very noticeable. It's a big difference from 9" width to 11" width....