Which OBD 2 hardware and app

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCrouch

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 Expedition XLT and also recently inherited a 2003 F150 with the 4.6L. I also have a 2015 Ford Fusion with the 2.0L Ecoboost in the stable that my wife drives. The F150 has a nasty misfire that I need to take care of.
I started looking at OBD2 scanners and have decided to just get either a wifi or bluetooth scanner and an app for my Iphone.
Im leaning towards the Dashcommand app so I can get not only the CEL's that are thrown but any other vehicle info I would possibly want.
My question is do yall have any experience with the Dashcommand app and if so is it as good as it appears or would yall recommend another app. And as far as the OBD 2 hardware goes, which one would yall recommend?

OBD2.JPG

OP
OP
NCrouch

NCrouch

Reaction score
Bedrck47,
I hadnt even looked at FORScan. I definitely like that its built directly for Ford vehicles. which OBD2 device would you recommend?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use and recommend scantool.net neon green OBDLink. $50. IMO you want one that goes into sleep mode (not all do) & I'd never consider the endless $5-20 Amazon and Ebay specials. 3 year warranty IIRC.

I've not used Dashcommand but the reviews seem legit.

OP
OP
NCrouch

NCrouch

Reaction score
I use and recommend scantool.net neon green OBDLink. $50. IMO you want one that goes into sleep mode (not all do) & I'd never consider the endless $5-20 Amazon and Ebay specials. 3 year warranty IIRC.

I've not used Dashcommand but the reviews seem legit.

After doing more research I am definitely leaning towards the OBDLink. Seems like a very solid device. What app do you use? I just looked at their site and their are a ton of options. Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time getting a setup like this and I want to do it right the first time. Also, do you suggest the Ford enhanced add-on?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big fan of the OBDLink products. I use an MX with my laptop for FORScan. You need the MSCan interface to program.

I use a Kiwi 3 for my standard DTC reading and sensors with Dashcommand or FORScan mobile. Small and fast connection.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the $12-or-so Panlong ELM327 on amazon? Strong rating, mines still working after over a year....

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCrouch

NCrouch

Reaction score
Bought the OBDLink last night. Im still on the fence as far as which app Ill be using. I would much rather use my Iphone instead of a laptop. Right now Im leaning towards the Dashcommand but Im still considering the FORScan lite.

From yalls experience which one of those is better and why?