Which Oil filter for Synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
Damn it. I knew I remember 5W20 was only for fuel economy. Nothing wrong with using it though, right?

BTW, if this last oil change was my first fully synthetic, could there be a possibility that it "cleaned" my system of any crud that may have been left from previous dino/syn blends?

Thanks for the info :)

Nothing wrong at all with using the factory spec oil. I would use it with confidence.

Any crud would likely be suspended in the oil. Most oils have detergents in them, synthetics or otherwise.

Some folks note that synthetics may provide an additional cleansing action. Sounds plausible, though I can't say for sure.

I've seen immaculate engine internals from folks who've used dino oil with regular changes, and I've seen the same from folks who've used synthetics.

IMHO the greatest benefits for a synthetic are extended drain intervals, and improved extreme-temperature performance. To what degree, though, is hard to say. Many people use dino oils to great effect, so it's a tough argument to make.