Which year should I go for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Funstuie

Reaction score
Hi all

First post so forgive me if this is asked a lot.

I am looking to get an expy as a family hauler. I used to have a 2010 F-150 super crew which was great but I stupidly decided to sell it and I have regretted it ever since.

Getting a pickup is not really an option now and I need the third row for when family visits etc.

So with a limited budget (around $6k) and knowing I am looking at 150k on the clock what year should I focus on? Is there a year I should avoid?

I want 4x4 as I will more than likely use it for towing on occasion.

In my searches in the Bay Area a lot of 2004 models show up for some reason.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any Gen 2 ( 2003-2006) should be fine. Also check the rocker panels and the radiator core support for rust damage. Good Luck

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From all I've read the 2004, the last 2 valve motor is probably the best bet. The 3 valves have oiling issues, along with cam phaser problems. The 3 valve motors also can break original spark plugs on removal. This shouldn't be an issue if the SUV has more than 100k miles,as they more than likely have been replaced with a newer designed plug.I believe they corrected the spark plug thread issue on 2003, 2004 models. Earlier ones didn't have enough threads to properly torque the spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1955moose spells it out pretty well. The 3 valves are a potiential nightmare. Get the first generation late model 2003ish or less with low miles. More dependable engines except the spark plug thing. Your budget don't get you very far into the 2004+ models. If you are mechanically inclined cheap later models can be had with phaser, timing chain, lash adjuster or follower problems. I gave 3k for my 05 King Ranch, looks like new. Sold as needing an engine according to their Ford Stealership. I replaced the timing components, phasers, camshafts, vvt's, and oil pump. Now runs like new and I have about 4500.00 into it. And no I didn't use OEM parts. I figured they screwed it up once I am not giving them a second shot.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I understand the last two years 03,04, have the full spark plug threads. Took them 6 years to fix a problem that should have been corrected mid year 1997, when they discovered problem to begin with. Makes you wonder, when they saw the first heads being produced, the top guys should have said, stop this is no good, not enough threads, but no, they just went ahead and produced the same heads for 5 years, unbelievable. Oh by the way Snag Habbibie is an experienced tech, that knows the second gens expeditions real well, and participates helping forum members on a regular basis. Welcome to the forum, we can always use another member with your experience.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep, been watching your responses for a few weeks, another experienced guy. I appreciate what you tell those asking...Actually I am fairly new to modular engines, been a small block Ford and Chevy, well and Mopar guy since the late 60's. I hope not to step on anyone's toes, a good bunch of guys on the forum. If anything I can add to help someone, that is my hope.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here, my background actually is with motorcycles. I've worked on my share of automotive engines though. Except for all the sensors and electronics, internal combustion engines really are pretty much the same for the past 100 years. Again welcome to the forum, and we can all help each other, on the expeditions.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope I didn't say anything to get crossways with Habb. I respect everyone who contributes. I started as a motorcyle guy myself, back in the 60's, everyone had a dirt bike at the time and we all raced motocross. When I was in college I wanted to quit and go to motorcyle mechanic school. My dad said h''' no, this is just a fad and will soon be dead. So started racing cars:O)