Whistling tube noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heading home from dropping off my daughter at work my '07 XLT started making a sort of whistling noise. The same noise we got as kids with the 4 ft plastic tubes you whip around - this sort of thing: https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Toy-Whis...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003YCKOPM

It's movement, not engine related - I can rev when stationary, and it doesn't matter. Don't think it's brakes either. Happens when moving (forward or reverse).

Changes note with speed - up or down.

Nothing looks obviously like it's hanging off.

What should I check?

Plati

Reaction score
I was thinking if there was a magnetic base wireless microphone ... you could place in different positions in the vehicle while you drove ... you could narrow the sound as coming from a specific component. I googled that and didn't find that exactly but I did find something similar --> https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-97202-Wireless-ChassisEAR-Diagnostic/dp/B00123J79O

Not that you'll buy one of these for $200, but is there anything else to isolate the source of the sound? Some smart kid could probably whip one up in a weekend.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could the noise be outside windrelated? Recently changed anything on the outside (aftermarket windshield wiper blades, antennae, mud flats., etc.)? You’re in a cold area - are all the door weatherstrips attached (and not pulled away due to freezing)? Look under the hood - is the weatherstrip on the radiator close out panel attached?

On my 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4, I have a “howl” or “moan” when the HVAC system is set to inside recirculate and placed on a higher fan speed - with the windows closed.

I’m in the Midwest - it has gone into the 70’s briefly. Are you using the A/C - could it be one of the outlet vents that are closed?

OP
OP
A

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It started as I turned a corner, actually, mid-way through a 5 min trip.

Nothing changed as I was driving.

Tried it on my relatively secluded driveway and on the main road - all showing the same thing - nothing weird with wind, etc.

I didn't touch the HVAC (AC is busted, that'll be another post).

I'll double-check that HVAC stuff though in case, and the weather stripping.

OP
OP
A

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be - but have no idea what that sounds like. Haven't really tested turning, but I'll give it a go. Does sound like something wheel related. It changes with speed, as I said. Also, sort of does that fan noise, of repeating faster/slower with speed. I'll google wheel bearing failure and see if I can find something that sounds like it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be - but have no idea what that sounds like. Haven't really tested turning, but I'll give it a go. Does sound like something wheel related. It changes with speed, as I said. Also, sort of does that fan noise, of repeating faster/slower with speed. I'll google wheel bearing failure and see if I can find something that sounds like it.
Depending on how bad the bearings are they will change pitch as speed up and slow down. If you drive straight at a constant speed then slowly rock the wheel left and right like going through shallow "S" turns. If it's wheel bearing it will change pitch slightly.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear bearings just complain when they're moving, unlike the fronts, which complain when they're loaded.

My money is a rear bearing or the pumpkin.. A quick, but not perfectly reliable way to detect that is to drive around a while, then touch the axle just inside the hub on both wheels. If one is considerably warmer, its probably the bearing on the warm side. Caution, it could be really hot, so be careful. A grabby brake pad can also cause the warming.

OP
OP
A

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear bearings just complain when they're moving, unlike the fronts, which complain when they're loaded.

My money is a rear bearing or the pumpkin.. A quick, but not perfectly reliable way to detect that is to drive around a while, then touch the axle just inside the hub on both wheels. If one is considerably warmer, its probably the bearing on the warm side. Caution, it could be really hot, so be careful. A grabby brake pad can also cause the warming.

I did do a quick walk-around to touch the wheels to see if it was obvious from one overheating - nothing was burning up. Had that before with a stuck brake, so I have some idea what to feel for.

I'll give it a longer drive (was < 5 mins yesterday), with a lot more turning, since the trip home is just a straight line, and see if I can work it out. For the minute I'm riding the bike, and hoping for no snow.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01