white smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

renee

Reaction score
its a 99 ford expedition 5.4 liter eddie bauer edition it was running a little rough that's what made me change them i had someone change them about a year ago

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
but wouldn't the smoke smell sweet instead of like gas? The third spark plug i had to use a chaser on do u think it is the oil i used to lub the chaser?

Did you just run a tap through to clean threads or did you install a timesert?

OP
OP
R

renee

Reaction score
well i got the chaser and couldn't get it to thread thru then i got a tap and before i went to tap i was making sure there was no shavings from the chaser and found out the mechanic who did the plugs a year ago left a bolt in the hole so all the time and money was pretty much wasted all my plugs needed to be changed tho cylinder 4 was barely getting any fire

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but wouldn't the smoke smell sweet instead of like gas? The third spark plug i had to use a chaser on do u think it is the oil i used to lub the chaser?

:facepalm: OOOOOPS. I missed that part. Now that I see that, I agree with Tom.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
well i got the chaser and couldn't get it to thread thru then i got a tap and before i went to tap i was making sure there was no shavings from the chaser and found out the mechanic who did the plugs a year ago left a bolt in the hole so all the time and money was pretty much wasted all my plugs needed to be changed tho cylinder 4 was barely getting any fire

So you were attempting to install a timesert but one already was installed?!

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I can be a little slow. A BOLT for a plug, thats a new one.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well speculating here based on your post....

You were attempting to put a timesert in and doing step 1...reaming the hole out but found a steel timesert was already installed which had stopped the reamer??

Is this correct?