Who has put an aftermarket radio in their 03 or 04 navigator? What harness did you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy J

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought a new kenwood double din head unit for my 03 navigator because i need to have the hands free function, and i figured why not upgrade while im at it. I used crutchfield and they sent me the head unit, wiring harness, dash kit and a few other adapters. Heres the problem. They have sent me 2 different wiring harnesses and neither fit. The stereo shops in town dont seen to have the right harness, so as it stands right now, i cant install my new radio. The problem lies with the trim level and accessories my navi came with. I decoded the vin and it told me that its the ultimate package. It has the touch screen double din radio with navigation, theres a dvd drive in the passenger side footwell, theres steering wheel controls, a sub in the back, and an overhead dvd player attached to the head liner that interfaces with the stock radio.

They originally sent me a harness that looked like it was for an older expedition or f150 with 2 harnesses, both black, both skinny and rectangular with 1 row of pins each. One was for the power, ground, antenna, etc and the other was the speaker connectors. They also included 3 little ones which were no where near wide enough to go on my connectors. Im kind of an idiot because i assumed it was the right one and soldered and shrink wrapped it all before i pulled the radio out. Dang.... out come the wire cutters. The harness they sent me was metra part number ABMW-124

I called crutchfield today and they told me that i told them the wrong specs for my truck and that i had the wrong harness. They gave me the correct number. I went to the local audio shop and picked.one up, brought it home and it looked like itdd fit. Its a large white harness with multiple rows of pins. It plugs into the large connector behind the radio which is a start. The problem is that the connector it plugs into on the vehicle only has like 10 wires going to it, and the metra harness has around 30. It it metra part number ABMW-5221.

There are a total of 4 connectors going into the back of the stock radio. Im literally stumped. I would like to use the stock speakers and amps for the time being with my new head unit. Eventually i plan on installing new speakers, new larger speaker wire, a new sub, and an amp.for both of them and using the factory harness for just the power, battery, and ground, but at this point i dont have the money to do it all at this point.

What has worked for you? What do you suggest. I am attaching pictures of the harnesses and radio.

I appreciate your insight.

Andy

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants