Why you check the tide tables

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stamp11127, May 17, 2017.

1. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

Valuable lesson learned - I hope.

I grew up in Jax, FL and spent quite a bit of time at the beach. We always new the tides and made a point not to leave a vehicle close to the water, always above the high tide line.
    Guess this guy didn't know that.
    Why he didn't get a tow truck before it got bad is beyond me.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5438093574001/?#sp=show-clips

2. drewactual

drewactual Active Member

i live at the beach, and ran a bar many moons ago... a group of guys who weren't local came in one day and after a while started telling the story of one of their trucks getting 'surfed' near the pier, and everyone on the pier just watching as it went under... they were less than happy....

after they left another group of guys at the other end were laughing and said "we were on the pier"... initially i thought it was pretty nasty to not assist them trying to get it out- but I realized after they shared this they were right: they didn't have that many days off and they were going to spend it trying to fish, not by digging some inland clown out of the surf who was acting stupid driving through the surf line to begin with.

but that video: trying to dig himself out was a waste of precious time.... it's situations like that these fellas come in mighty handy:

[​IMG]

3. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

We all remember what Forrest Gump's mother taught him:

Stupid is as stupid does!

As I observe their situation, knowing what you have already said about checking the tides it dawns on me that any group incapable of moving their truck before the OCEAN threatens to swallow their truck, would most certainly be incapable of finding & reading the tide tables for a given location<LOL>!

I grew up on the Chesapeake bay and spent a couple of summers down at the ocean in Ocean City....and Drew is right....it's already too late for them unless God himself intercedes!

jeff