Will I be dissapointed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two limited models I looked at yesterday and today had moonroofs but standard rear suspension. They were both 13s with 65k miles and were listed at 27500. For 33 I can get a 17 limited certified pre owned with brake controller and 3.73 gears. I'll be keeping this rig for 4-5 years, will that eco be good to me till 100k miles (if I get one with 50)? I don't know if it's worth the extra up front cost, 5k buys a lot of other things.. .

That’s a great price for the 17.

Do people actually like to have & use a moonroof? They seem like a waste to me. I keep hearing about problems with them and I cant imagine ever using one. Being tall, I cant have one anyway because they take up space required for headroom but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Use mine all the time

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of used Expys with features have them so thats a lot of vehicles I cant buy. I can see the airflow part, especially if a smoker that would be nice I guess. Probably works around the standing wave problem also with a window open and you dont create wind on people in rear seat.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the moon roof in my truck and am scared to death to use it for fear of it breaking. Also I cringe in automatic car washes when the high pressure blowers hit the roof, I usually hold my hand up on the glass to keep it from moving under the force. The 17 limited has no moon roof and has 3.73 gears with the built in brake controller and is certified pre owned, but it's about 4k out of my price range.

I like and have been satisfied with the 5.4 in my truck with the same gears and transmission, especially with a tune. My biggest concern is combating the sag of having a trailer hitched up and having gear loaded in the back of the truck. I have a standard round bar with chains WDH and might need an equalizer hitch so have to factor in that expense as well.

Ive got a line on a 14 limited for a decent price but it's out of state. The nice ones don't stick around long so there is little time for my internal debate.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could do with out the Moonroof on both my 2012 F150 and 2016 KR Expy.
Never use it, its either way to hot here, Way too cold , or Pollen season...

the 2016-17's have an option for a mechanical load leveling rear end shocks ( which can be added to any of those years as an aftermarket install), and on the Platinum the CCD active suspension was standard.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use mine all the time. Especially at night. I also like to tilt it open and open the side glass get air moving thru the cabin.
Same here. It’s really nice in the summer too, gives the hot air somewhere to go while the A/C pushes cool air into the cab. Cracking open the rear vents and tilting the sunroof cuts down on the cool time in the summer, especially with the black leather interior.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could do with out the Moonroof on both my 2012 F150 and 2016 KR Expy.
Never use it, its either way to hot here, Way too cold , or Pollen season...

the 2016-17's have an option for a mechanical load leveling rear end shocks ( which can be added to any of those years as an aftermarket install), and on the Platinum the CCD active suspension was standard.

Just remember, the CCD suspension doesn't do load leveling.

Plati

Reaction score
..... Cracking open the rear vents and tilting the sunroof cuts down on the cool time in the summer, especially with the black leather interior.
Thanks for mentioning rear vents, had to look that up --- did not know I had those motor controlled rear window vents!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning rear vents, had to look that up --- did not know I had those motor controlled rear window vents!
They're not windows.....they're air brakes.

I'm afraid of running with them open; I watched the drivers side one day in the outside mirror and it was bowing in and out way too much for me.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, new here but not new to Fords. My Wife's Envoy XL is getting long in the tooth and I'm looking for a replacement. Everything we've looked at with 3 rows (a necessity for my family) has been a joke (my kids are young but not small). We keep coming back to a suburban, Armada, or Expedition. My wife prefers the truck based SUVs, and the kids prefer them for the usable 3rd row.

I currently own a 10 F150 Platinum crewcab with Max Tow package and 50k miles on it (its a unicorn of trucks and I looked for over a year to find it). It sits 90% of the time since I have a focus for a commuter and only use the truck to pull our 6200lb (GVWR) camper (hence the low miles). My oldest daughter just got her first car, and now I've got more vehicles than drivers or garage space, so we're thinking of trading in the truck and buying an Expedition EL that can serve double duty as the grocery getter and the tow rig. It will fit in my garage (my truck does not), and will be used daily.

Now all that being said, I'm happy with how my truck pulls my camper. Its no EcoBoost, but is quiet, comfortable, and is tuned and has good power. If I am looking at a 13 or 14 Limited Expedition EL with the same 3.73 gears and tow package, will it be a similar towing experience or will the IRS muck all that up and make me regret getting rid of the pickup? I'll miss the truck bed for sure, but have access to one if needed. I'd be putting firewood, generator, fishing gear, etc into the back, and figure the long wheelbase of the EL will be best for towing my 25ft trailer, which is 29ft bumper to tongue. We live in the north west, so a majority of our camping trips are into the mountains. Sorry for the long windedness, but just don't want to make a $30k mistake. Also as a side note, by the numbers the suburban is actually longer than an EL, but the reverse is true of just looking at them side by side. I think the expedition feels bigger inside as well, and wish I could get by with a short wheelbase model strictly for parking lot manuvers and parking garages....

Side note:

Unlike Tahoe vs. Suburban with the third tow gaining like 10 inches, Expedition short vs. long 3rd rows are either identical or nearly identical... and BOTH roomier for rear passengers vs. Suburban

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The two limited models I looked at yesterday and today had moonroofs but standard rear suspension. They were both 13s with 65k miles and were listed at 27500. For 33 I can get a 17 limited certified pre owned with brake controller and 3.73 gears. I'll be keeping this rig for 4-5 years, will that eco be good to me till 100k miles (if I get one with 50)? I don't know if it's worth the extra up front cost, 5k buys a lot of other things.. .

All expeditions are safe bets to 150, and easily good for 200+

You might consider looking into an earlier year with more miles for a lower price and free options