Will not shift out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxB37

Reaction score
2010 2wd Expedition has started having issues shifting out of park. The first time I turned it off then back on and it recovered first time. Now, thats not always the case and it's happening more frequently. I've done some reading but trying to narrow it down to what it is (brake lamp indicator, brake shift interlock actuator, fuse, etc).

When it happens, the button on the gear shifter (center console shifter) will not depress but I hear the click in the dash. The brake lights do NOT illuminate when this is happening either. I can keep fiddling with it and sometimes press the brake down really hard and it will recover and go into gear. It moves through the other gears fine after this and the shifter does not feel loose.

Hoping to narrow down the issue so I don't throw money at the wrong issue. Thanks in advance.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fwiw, in the new '17 manual, there is a "work around" listed (pg's 162 & 163) in case that happens. I don't know if they show it in the earlier models but hopefully someone smarter than I about it will chime in for you.

jeff

Attachments

• brake interlock Pages from 2017-ford-expedition-92075.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 20

mike206

Reaction score
Both my Expy and Mustangs have had this occur. Both were resolved by replacing the switch located near the brake pedal area, relatively cheap and quick fix.

John Merk

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the button not depressing on the shifter but what I found is if I push the Expedition forward a little it will unlock. The other thing is if I park on a slight incline where all the weight of the vehicle is to the rear, I don't have the problem. My question is, would this still be related to the brake shift interlock actuator as well? Or should I be looking at something else given the scenarios above where it will unlock?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure sounds like shift interlock has loose or corroded connection but could just be the switch itself.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you set your parking break when you put the vehicle in park? If you don't, the vehicle will move forwards or backwards a small amount and put pressure on the park pawl in the transmission. This can sometimes make it hard to shift out of park and combined with a weak shift lock solenoid might be exacerbating the issue. Even when the interlocks go bad you will still hear a click in the dash but the solenoid isn't necessarily moving. Try setting your parking break before taking your foot off the brake when you shift into park. It's a good habit anyways as lack of use can cause that cable to rust and stick.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the brake lights are not coming on, this is the first place to look.
the BOO switch. Brake on off. I have seen many where it was flaky. Tap the pedal a few times to see if they come on and if then it releases.

Funny though....you should hear the clicking of the release the same time the brake lights come on.