Windshield Leak - Blower Motor - GEM issue ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alrighty, so, I've read a ton of the threads regarding the windshield leak, dripping down onto the GEM, causing the blower to run constantly.

My issue manifested a couple months ago, where the fog lights started working intermittently.

About 3 weeks ago, the blower issue started (blower turns on full blast with key off/engine off).

I parked it in my shop to dry off/out, disconnected the battery.

When I reconnected the battery, the blower issue was gone.

Not wanting to leave things to chance, I disconnected again, and just now finally wrestled the GEM/fusebox out of the truck.

Opened up my GEM, and it's dry as can be, no evidence of water or corrosion.

This leads me to think that maybe water got in the fusebox?

Anyone ever open one of these up? It looks like there's six snap-tabs to pull to cover open, but I'm curious if I'm going to far in this, or if maybe I should just set the fusebox near a heater for a couple days to dry out prior to getting the windshield replaced (and therefore, resealed).

If I go that route, I'd probably just go ahead and replace all of the fuses in the box, just to be safe (I can always save the "old" fuses for later).

Any thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your problem isn't the fuses themselves so don't waste the money on them. Can you read wiring diagrams?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll post the wiring diagrams when I fire up the home computer, then it is just tracing the circuit.

Flying_Finn

Reaction score
I have also the similar issue with the notorious GEM/fuse box and water from the windshield issue. My GEM is dry but while poking around feeling for water (all the wires to the fuse box/GEM were wet) I noticed that the relays were clicking but not activating anything at the time. I did find an area of rust/corrosion at the base of the windshield where there are about 3 panels that all come together. We had enough warm weather I could put some sealant on it and am now waiting for another melt to see if it has stemmed the drip. I am feeling that I will need to remove the fuse box and not just the GEM since the GEM is fine.
Looks like the waterproofing grease I have for transports is going to come in handy after I clean all the contacts and replace relays (just for safety sake).
I have to say that the area that appears to be the leak culprit was very obvious just below the windshield. The track along the side is fine. I had the windshield replaced a couple of years ago and they claimed to have sealed it but by the looks of it they did not actually seal anything with proper sealant but maybe some paint. Glad they did not bill me for it. :)

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kythri,
unscrew the gem from the back of fuse block, set by your heater our use a hair dryer to dry them out, reattach gem , reinstall in vehicle.
Even though you dont see water in your gem/fuse block, it still gets wet from leaking window and or sun roof, ( as my 2001 has leaking sun roof).

There is no reason to replace all your fuses and relays, unless they are bad, period.

If you need to drive your vehicle and do not have the time or what ever to fix your leaking window, you can do what i am doing now and that is after you reinstall gem/fuse block back into vehicle, place a rag on top of the gem box, this will soak up any water that leaks in, be sure to remove rag after it gets wet and replace with a dry rag, this will prevent your gem/fuseblock from getting wet and causing more damage then needed before you can fix the leak.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MikeA:

Hah, just got done doing that (setting by heater and drying out)!

Going to re-assemble this weekend, but leave parked in the shop until there's a dry day to take it and get the windshield replaced (and hopefully better sealed).

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, finally got around to putting the fuse panel/GEM assembly back into the rig.

After drying everything off and re-assembling, everything is working great. Fog lights work again, too, so there was definitely some moisture getting in somewhere and causing an intermittent short.

Anyhow, it's going to stay parked inside until such time that I can get the windshield replaced and everything sealed up tight.

Thanks for the help, all.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning!

Been awaiting a dry day that worked with my schedule to get the windshield in my '00 Expedition replaced.

Well, it's been sitting inside my shop for the past 3-4 months, but today, got a brand new Carlite windshield installed and everything sealed up nicely.

Glass shop reports that there was zero rust issue, but that the windshield adhesive had lost adhesion on the top of the windshield and both side A-pillars - only being held on by the bottom adhesive.

Now I've got a sparkly new clear windshield, and hopefully I'll be able to drive my Expedition in the rain again without any further issues!

Good times!

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for reporting on the adhesive. good info.
but why did you have to replace your entire windshield? was it cracked?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01