Wireless CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiddKid

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new 2018 Expy supports Wireless CarPlay? There is zero reference to it in any of the materials but it seems to have all the components (Wireless Charging, WiFi, Bluetooth) to support it. Vehicles and aftermarket systems are starting to support it. Would seem odd to tout wireless charging but then need to plug it in for CarPlay...

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
Well, I used Ford chat and got this: "There has not been a Ford announcement regarding wireless/cordless Apple CarPlay. Unfortunately I won't be able to verify this information at this time. You will want to keep an eye on the Ford Media website for feature announcements."

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow i didnt know you could connect apple car play or android auto wirelessly, which vehicles can do that...? Theres nothing on the site and dont sre anything in other forums. I would ask this question on the 3rd gen section since thise owners already own an expy with sync 3.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow i didnt know you could connect apple car play or android auto wirelessly, which vehicles can do that...? Theres nothing on the site and dont sre anything in other forums. I would ask this question on the 3rd gen section since thise owners already own an expy with sync 3.
Well, I used Ford chat and got this: "There has not been a Ford announcement regarding wireless/cordless Apple CarPlay. Unfortunately I won't be able to verify this information at this time. You will want to keep an eye on the Ford Media website for feature announcements."

The ford Expy page that Sync 3 will do apple play and android auto.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The question is not whether or not it supports CarPlay...we know it does. The question is whether or not it supports (or will support) WIRELESS CarPlay!
Ah, I see. Totally missed the whole point of the discussion lol sorry

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple determines whether or not car play will work wirelessly. As controlling as Apple is, my guess is if you want wireless car play you need to use Android. I compared my son's android against my 6 plus and aside from the cord, I don't think I really saw any major advantages of android plus the disadvantages of having to learn a all new phone system. I would still love to see Waze work in car play but Apple controls that too.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
Apple determines whether or not car play will work wirelessly. As controlling as Apple is, my guess is if you want wireless car play you need to use Android. I compared my son's android against my 6 plus and aside from the cord, I don't think I really saw any major advantages of android plus the disadvantages of having to learn a all new phone system. I would still love to see Waze work in car play but Apple controls that too.

Yes...Apple does control it and it has been available for months. BMW has implemented it already. Alpine has aftermarket solutions. VW has announced they are working on it. Ball is in Ford’s court. The new Expy seems to have all the required hardware, hopefully they can implement it.