WNY Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Spotted some orange/red drips in the driveway, so I climbed underneath up front and found this just behind the radiator ... an elbow pretty well rusted out, leaking red fluid, transmission fluid in the power steering line? Is this power steering? 2003 Expedition 5.4L
IMG_0461.JPG

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that's power steering. My 2012 is starting to rust/leak from there as well. :(

Mine uses Mercon V for power steering fluid, I'd be surprised if yours was any different.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fords use mercon or mercon v synthetic in the power steering as well as transmission. You'll need to isolate what broke, or what's leaking. Spray down area with degreaser, and repair problem. Waiting is a safety issue as you will damage steering parts, and possibility of losing power steering if fluid drops too low. As with hydraulic brakes, don't take chances, might not get a second chance, especially if you ride family in vehicle.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That happened to mine, up here near Saratoga Springs, NY. If you replace with factory hoses and plan on keeping
for a long time, it'll just happen again. I replaced with 3/8
nickle/copper brake line, used my hydraulic brake flaring tool to make hose barbs and fitted oil resistant braided
hose with crimped SS Oetiker clamps to make transmission hoses to last the life of the truck. Also
made new Ni-Cop brake lines with the hydraulic tool
because brakelines failed. If you're in Western NY,
not a matter of IF, but WHEN your brakes will fail, so do them when you can. If you can't afford a shop to do this, like me, the Mastercool hydraulic brake flaring tool @
between $280 to $400 will more than pay for itself.
Ni-Cop is easy to bend, especially when using
stainless brake shielding coil over the brake line when installing.
Stephen

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I put all Cupronickel lines to rear brakes couple years ago, you're right - time to look at replacing all of them preemptively.

Sorry to deviate from topic DarmahSD but you are close to Black Mountain, if you ever get a chance go up there pretty cool place. I rode my snowmobile to top a few years ago. You can ride down to Lake George and take your chances on that too! Tongue Mtn!
2155 S49B N view of LG fr black mtn.JPG

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Replaced the high pressure power steering line ... my favorite shop did it not me
Might not do much but I'm going to try to put some protectant on some rust prone lines
IMG_0479.JPG

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Schmidts Ruststop on Broadway/Transit. Have the undercarraige sprayed. It is the thickest oil based treatment and does not drip. Lenny, does an excellent job and puts it on heavy. It is good for a couple of years or more. $75.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Latest chapter in WNY rust ... 03 XLT ... this rusted out today & it sounded GREAT. I think it had more HP and ran faster! Even without premium gas. Need to get better bolts and line it up right before I tighten it down. No cost repair, ya gotta be able to turn a wrench on a 2003 Expy in WNY. My gut just barely fit sliding under the truck on my back to wrench it. I feel fortunate I can still get that done!
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG

Last edited:

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm waiting. My pipe's ready to go. Bolts are eroded down to nothing. I'll replace with stainless bolts. Good luck with rust issues. POR 15 rocks!
Sorry to responding late to your Black Mountain photo,
MrSticker, I'm up by Bolton Landing & Schroon Lake
all the time. I can appreciate that photo. Thanks for
posting.
Stephen