WNY Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m starting to hear an exhaust leak under mine passenger side toward the rear..... muffler?

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
2003 XLT. Poked at my "rocker panels" a bit, this fell down. Can see all the way through to underside of Expy now. Wheel wells don't look much better. Need to understand how to prevent this in my 2014. It doesn't rust from the outside, rusts from inside. And they put big holes on inside to collect water & salt brine? And the paint on inside of "rocker panel" is not real impressive!!
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

Change my name to MrRust?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My outer rockers aren’t doing well but my inners seem fine. I spray them with fluid film but I do have two brand new rockers for the truck sitting in my garage when I’m ready. I try not to poke around for rust on vehicles as it just gets you upset for no reason and it’s not really helping anything....

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 XLT. Poked at my "rocker panels" a bit, this fell down. Can see all the way through to underside of Expy now. Wheel wells don't look much better. Need to understand how to prevent this in my 2014. It doesn't rust from the outside, rusts from inside. And they put big holes on inside to collect water & salt brine? And the paint on inside of "rocker panel" is not real impressive!!
View attachment 24761
View attachment 24762
View attachment 24763

Change my name to MrRust?

My wheel well was starting to bubble in that area and I promptly had my body shop cut out all that steel and weld in new, looks good now $600 well spent. I’d say take it to krown or spray it with fluid film. I use fluid film on mine.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
My wheel well was starting to bubble in that area and I promptly had my body shop cut out all that steel and weld in new, looks good now $600 well spent. I’d say take it to krown or spray it with fluid film. I use fluid film on mine.
How long has Fluid Film been used on your Expy? Do you spray it inside those big holes on inside of rockers? Reason I ask is because if you have sprayed well since new ... and still rusts?

I wonder if theres even any paint inside rockers? Thats where my rust built from (the inside). With those big holes collecting road brine and it just sits in there ... fugly situation.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just gambled with this product from Eastwood. Received it yesterday. Will try it soon as I can

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

I am just starting to see some small bubbling in my paint in the underside of the rocker panels. I am going to try this stuff in the hopes of prolonging the inevitable for as long as I can. It will make me feel better that I tried something if nothing else I guess.

Who knows if it will work or not. I have had good luck with Eastwood products in the past

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I started the fluid film after I noticed bubbling paint on my rockers, so it’s only been used to slow down the rust. That’s the issue.... these rocker panels aren’t designed all that well, they have those large holes behind them through the inners. There are also little ribs on the inner rocker that go up and down, then the new set has little tabs where it welds to the inner at the bottom of those ribs. This forms open drains when welded on but they are so small dirt and salt enter into those holes and clogs the drains. Then that moisture wants to find a way out and eats until it can drain through a nice hole in the outer panel. You are correct I think those holes cause lots of issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
During my "under Expy" inspection a month ago, I could see white salt deposits in many places even though I thought I sprayed pretty well with the hose earlier. Its 80 degrees here today so I bit the bullet, and got underneath the 2014 Expy with the hose and sprayed all those nooks and crannies. I even pounded water in those big holes in the rocker panels. Lots of crud came out!! It was a freeakin mess, glad I had safety goggles on and earplugs in. Made sure I didnt overspray into engine compartment. I wont drive it for a couple days to allow it to dry out.

Next step gotta be some kind of "coating". People have recommended Krown ... so I decided I would consider driving all the way to Buffalo area to get Krown done. I looked on the internet and there is one within a mile of my house. Nice. I'm gonna give it a shot. Looks like it costs $149. Hope to do that next week.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck needs new rocker panels, thanks WNY salt.

I had to replace the passenger rocker 3 years ago. How is your radiator core support? They rot pretty bad. Mine is rusted but truck runs without a problem. A guy had a video where he welded three brackets under the support and it worked. It's been over 2 years and still going strong

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni