Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had quite a fiasco and an undrivable shaking from the front. I started replacing things such as the front differential and cv axles and transfer case. I balanced the front driveline. I found a mechanic who has a familiarity with these vehicles. Every other person i asked for help with had no certain advice. My 2001 expedition continues to have a vibration. I have eliminated lots of interference and still have my steering gear box to replace, after recently having my abs system repaired. One of my wheel sensors was intermittent, and has been that way for a few years but I never associated this with my wobbles. I was installing the front driveline when tightening it, it rotated and moved up on the transfer case side significantly. This makes me suspect the torque converter because it is oen of the few things I havent replaced. I have had a used transmission put in after the previous one went bad in a way that may have damaged the torque converter, it was a strong shaking in 2nd gear. I am not a mechanic and am not sure about the torque converter. I have other reasons to suspect it because it shakes over rough road and up a driveway and on the freeway at speed. The wobble feels like the front driveline is wobbling with greater amplitude over a bump at the transfer case side. Can anyone confirm the torque converter? Or suggest something else? I might do it monday...

MrXLT

Reaction score
Are you talking about side to side wobble? I'm confused as to how a torque converter would cause that. In my experience wobble has only been caused by either really unbalanced wheels/tires or bad ball joints. Does it get worse when braking? Ball joints would be the big culprit for that. And if they are that bad, you're at a very dangerous point (experience).

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have worked to eliminate distraction movements like suspension. I continue to get damage occurring after replacing the cv axles a year ago, for example, i have done them again. I feel the movement of the front drive shaft at the transfer case. The ride is rough and I have done the lower control arm bushings ( which are punks) on the drivers side which is noticeably different from the passengers side. it is kind of more gravely sound but not this driveline balance issue. I have had my drive line balanced. I have replaced some bad tires and improved turning very much with balanced wheels and alignment done. I still get this pull to the drivers side even with perfect alignment. I have done the engine mounts at a significant expense since i did not think to take the throttle body off to lift the engine more to clear the exhaust manifolds. No change from engine mounts. I have already swapped out a transfer case with noticeably less wobbly at that time. I had not repaired my abs at that time and there's a possibility that braking without abs damaged my transfer case. running on the assumption that the used transfer case was in working condition, which it does shift smoothly, I am moving further back to the torque converter nest which has never been replaced by me. After a transmission going out and the used one working good and the transfer case working good I am narrowed to torque converter. I have read that it is supposed to apply torque smoothly and over rough roads to manage the torque. I am pretty sure im gonna have it done monday so i will report back. I went up a driveway at an entrance to a parking lot and felt the wobble clearly.

Thank you

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I think you have a point. The wobble may come from loose flywheel bolts or a cracked flex plate or a worn harmonic balancer. You may need to remove the transmission again to examine this.

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not get anything done yet. im not sure. mechanic said harmonic balancer would be more noticeable. my nest description is resistance in driveline. more damaging on freeway. i can drive on side streets for a while. had hesitation once like delayed acceleration after pressing gas. its a little wobbly on acceleration but mechanic did something to improve that.. i might be able to do steering gear box and harmonic balancer myself. might do water pump too while there. i could do all three for price of one at mechanic as long as i do em right. all recommended by different mechanics. maybe thermostat, it idles high too long on first start. cracked flex plate seems difficult to do. has never been same since used transmission install but transmission shifts fine. maybe transmission shop can look closer at fitment. leaks a drop of oil after short freeway drive... braking is really good very little vibration. acceleration is pretty good most of the time. steady driving and on gas over a bump or up a hill when its been noticeable. ill have to tell my mechanic to drive it up a certain driveway. ill try that and make it happen for him. ill post if i ever find it.

thank you

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did my steering gear box which was the most difficult simple job. the pitman arm would not come off and i ended up separating the ball joint end with pickle fork. stripped one ball joint puller. it was rusted and mechanic said might be what im feeling. putting new one in today.