Won't crank - now possessed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckjunky87

Reaction score
1999 Expedition - At first it just wouldn't crank, just give the clicking starter solenoid sound. Alright, battery needs to be charged right - nope, I put it on the charger and its fine. I pulled the terminals and cleaned them, turn the key and the same thing. However, now I notice that after I turn the key, get the clicking sound, and then release they key the guages and lights are going crazy like they are possessed. The lights are flickering on and off randomly and the gauge needles are going back and forth like its trying to perform some type of check but failing. I disconnect the battery and try again - same thing. I watch it for awhile(5 mins) and then the gauges calm down and the lights stop blinking so I try to start it and it starts right up. Good - but then I turn it off and it won't start again - nothing and now when I turn it off and pull the key OUT I have some relay under the dash clicking and I have to pull the neg. battery cable to get it to stop. Anyone have ANY idea what is going on?

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is a long shot but you could have a starter soilnoid going bad and the gauge going wild i think that is a program in the truck because mine does it on start up too and mine is a 2000.

the only reason i am saying it is a soilnoid issue my truck did the same thing a few weeks ago and it sounded like some relays clicking under the dash and i chased my tail all day and it is just the relays working.

next time your truck acts up and wont start just turn the key to the run position and under the hood and jump the soilnoid and see if it start and if it does that is where your problem was