Won't start in negative temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

juliehrdlicka

Reaction score
Follow up this...I was I'm fact sold a bad battery from auto zone. So we had it towed all the way to the dealer thinking something else was wrong for them to put one of their batteries in and everything be ok. Fortunately we have a warranty that includes towing. And blessing in disguise they found a leak in the water pump and a Crack in a thermostat shield, both covered by the Warranty. But I was so angry that there was no remorse at auto zone for the bad battery. Thanks everyone for all of the input!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Follow up this...I was I'm fact sold a bad battery from auto zone. So we had it towed all the way to the dealer thinking something else was wrong for them to put one of their batteries in and everything be ok. Fortunately we have a warranty that includes towing. And blessing in disguise they found a leak in the water pump and a Crack in a thermostat shield, both covered by the Warranty. But I was so angry that there was no remorse at auto zone for the bad battery. Thanks everyone for all of the input!
Not surprised, called it. I said it needed a charge, but was even worse. A good attendant would have tested the battery before the install.

Awesome that they found the other issues, and took care of them!

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start/Stop has nothing to do with this issue, and have no idea why that was even brought up.

@rd618 and @Retiredusps made excellent points, you are at the temps where a block heater would be beneficial, and it could definitely be a stuck starter.

Also, you made one significant assumption, that the new battery has a good charge. If it has been sitting on a shelf, it most likely does not. I would put it on a charger, or use a jump starter to get it to crank. Disconnect it from the cables, and put a volt meter on it. What is the Voltage? I would put money on it that the battery is low off the shelf. It needs a charge or simply some assistance from a set of jumper cables or a jump box.
Brought up because too many stop/start cycles would drain the battery. Coupled with a the drop in temp, there may not be enough reserve power to crank the starter.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brought up because too many stop/start cycles would drain the battery. Coupled with a the drop in temp, there may not be enough reserve power to crank the starter.
The stop/start cycles will not drain a battery. The expedition will disable stop/start function if the voltage drops below a certain point so that it will stay running and charge the battery. One of the signs of a battery starting to go south would be that the vehicle will NOT activate auto start/stop when all variables are ideal for such use (temps within range, stationary for certain period, and not using max heat or a/c).

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have had -30 temps in the Midwest the last few days. My 2019 expedition hasn't started since Sunday as a result. I replaced the battery because it tested out as dead. I installed and all the electrical comes up, but I do the push button start the engine doesn't turn over, just makes a clicking sound. I can't even push the brake pedal down. On the dash the engine light and battery lights are lit and I get an error saying 'check brake system.' I'm waiting for roadside to tow it to a dealership but any ideas?
It sounds like the new battery you installed is also dead or you didn’t tighten the two cables tight enough along with any cables connected to those two cables. You should also be putting in two bottles of heat in that car with every fill up and weather like that. It’s a yellow bottle at like Walmart or auto parts store. It says heat in blue letters don’t be cheap by a case of that stuff if ur in weather like that. For the first time you use it, put two bottles in with a half a tank, then fill it up all the way then put one or two bottles for every fill up. You can’t overdo it, but it will keep your fuel lines from freezing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The stop/start cycles will not drain a battery. The expedition will disable stop/start function if the voltage drops below a certain point so that it will stay running and charge the battery. One of the signs of a battery starting to go south would be that the vehicle will NOT activate auto start/stop when all variables are ideal for such use (temps within range, stationary for certain period, and not using max heat or a/c).
This!

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean drain the battery all the way.
Can it be drained to the level where the threshold is met where auto stop/start is disabled, then hit with a sudden freezing temp where the CCA's are affected? That was a thought.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like the new battery you installed is also dead or you didn’t tighten the two cables tight enough along with any cables connected to those two cables. You should also be putting in two bottles of heat in that car with every fill up and weather like that. It’s a yellow bottle at like Walmart or auto parts store. It says heat in blue letters don’t be cheap by a case of that stuff if ur in weather like that. For the first time you use it, put two bottles in with a half a tank, then fill it up all the way then put one or two bottles for every fill up. You can’t overdo it, but it will keep your fuel lines from freezing.
He is not having a no start but a no crank, would not add anything to the fuel. Modern gas already has the necessary additives

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire