Worn Out Suspension Components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just ordered some new wheels and tires today and got to wondering if there were some things I didn't take into consideration such as worn down suspension parts. The tires I ordered are 35x12.5 and I have the 3.5/2.5 lift so I know they will fit with a little trimming but I'm worried that their may be issues if my suspension parts are worn compared to someone with a rebuilt suspension. If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it. Ive been saving for this for a while and I really want everything to work out. Thanks!

DD31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what is it that makes you worry? If it doesnt bounce, wander, pull, clunk, clang, or rattle you're probably fine. You can have the shop putting the wheels/tires on check for any issues. You should get an alignment if you haven't had one for awhile

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my car tends to wander a little and it does pull to the left. It also starts swaying side to side around 60-70 and up. I had an alignment done after my lift but the shop left the rear bolts on the control arm that bolt to the frame loose so it lost its alignment. I had them tighten it up but they never realigned it so I'm definitley going for another one after I install the wheels and tires. My concern was with the old factory struts and other parts. This is a 2003 so it's about 14 years old and I didn't want any sag to cause the tires not to fit.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that its a 2003 and about 14 years old may be of some concern But I would be more concerned as to the mileage on the expy at this point. And if your over 130000 miles or close to it then you may want to consider replacing some parts now rather than have them go bad 15000 miles from now and need to have them replaced and get another alignment Have a good mechanic go over everything and follow his recommendations

I have about 135000 miles on my 04 and just replaced outer tie rod ends Lower ball joints Upper control arms Stabilizer links.

The shop I deal with recommended lower ball joints and tie rod ends I figured that it would be better to do everything all at once

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I am at about 182,000 miles lol. I want to rebuild the front as far as suspension and all that but I had to have tires and if I was gonna buy some I wanted to get the ones I really wanted instead of getting cheap ones right now

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 03 Expedition EB 5.4 4x4 with now 187,000 miles on it.
I haven't replaced any suspension parts since I bought it 3 years ago.
And I got the 3.5 /2.5 lift sitting on some MT Black 17x9 wheels with a -6 offset.
With 35 12.50x17 Mud tires.
I had a alignment done the next day after I installed the lift.
Then 3 weeks later put on the New wheels n Tire's.
Mine when was still stock felt real top heavy . going into curves felt like I was going to run off the road. And it would pull to the right some.
So after the lift handling got a little worse which is expected but the alignment fixed the pull.
But the day I installed my New wheels n Tires.. Man it handled like a beast. No more body roll in curves no more swaying. Its hard to explain but it feels sooooo much better.
But I am planing on replacing the front upper A arm ball joints. Only BC the boots are separated and u can c the joint's probably original.
But that's it..

Now to give u some heads up .
Performance wise will be lost.
Its going to take off slower BC of the Big tires .
Its going drank more gas straight up.hahah
And any slight incline for long hills on the road you going to have to use the OD off some and steep hills u going have to ride with OD off till u get to the top ..
The transmission does seem to run hotter which is why I'm getting a aftermarket transmission oil cooler to help keep the added temps down.
Now I don't know for sure on the added heat in the transmission I'm jus guessing nothing official.

7c92d18cef742fa02709bfb323b6b7e6.jpg
7de1c0d78d0ca0e84b82f6e5afb7a1b3.jpg
6a74f1a44798edd62e1ff0f06a95a75c.jpg
a0d1ded172124aa58338ed68934e5a7a.jpg
And in this pic is where I trimmed the front valace corner to stop the rubbing
ce98295cf8bfcaa9ff69e51db25a81a4.jpg
96372b8a571f3fe595af7bc9f2dca383.jpg

Hope some of this is helpful

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are the best parts to start with when it comes to replacing suspension in order to take the bump and sway out when driving? I've see a few kits that come with a lot of different parts but I'm not sure what everything is lol

OP
OP
AlexNorton74

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 03 Expedition EB 5.4 4x4 with now 187,000 miles on it.
I haven't replaced any suspension parts since I bought it 3 years ago.
And I got the 3.5 /2.5 lift sitting on some MT Black 17x9 wheels with a -6 offset.
With 35 12.50x17 Mud tires.
I had a alignment done the next day after I installed the lift.
Then 3 weeks later put on the New wheels n Tire's.
Mine when was still stock felt real top heavy . going into curves felt like I was going to run off the road. And it would pull to the right some.
So after the lift handling got a little worse which is expected but the alignment fixed the pull.
But the day I installed my New wheels n Tires.. Man it handled like a beast. No more body roll in curves no more swaying. Its hard to explain but it feels sooooo much better.
But I am planing on replacing the front upper A arm ball joints. Only BC the boots are separated and u can c the joint's probably original.
But that's it..

Now to give u some heads up .
Performance wise will be lost.
Its going to take off slower BC of the Big tires .
Its going drank more gas straight up.hahah
And any slight incline for long hills on the road you going to have to use the OD off some and steep hills u going have to ride with OD off till u get to the top ..
The transmission does seem to run hotter which is why I'm getting a aftermarket transmission oil cooler to help keep the added temps down.
Now I don't know for sure on the added heat in the transmission I'm jus guessing nothing official.

7c92d18cef742fa02709bfb323b6b7e6.jpg
7de1c0d78d0ca0e84b82f6e5afb7a1b3.jpg
6a74f1a44798edd62e1ff0f06a95a75c.jpg
a0d1ded172124aa58338ed68934e5a7a.jpg
And in this pic is where I trimmed the front valace corner to stop the rubbing
ce98295cf8bfcaa9ff69e51db25a81a4.jpg
96372b8a571f3fe595af7bc9f2dca383.jpg

Hope some of this is helpful

Did you have to do anything to that pinch weld gruz talked about? Sorry for all the questions lol, just super excited about finally getting my truck how I want it

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
what is it that makes you worry? If it doesnt bounce, wander, pull, clunk, clang, or rattle you're probably fine.

***** mine does all that. I'm glad I don't use the back seats otherwise the passengers would either kill me or pass out from bouncing so much!

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have to do anything to that pinch weld gruz talked about? Sorry for all the questions lol, just super excited about finally getting my truck how I want it
Not sure about a pinch weld but all I did was cut the valace edge at an angle