Your nuts if you think the factory sub amp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi... you can do it withis alot less power than that! I used to compete back in the day in IASCA and had 2 Orion HCCA 225's... one on the subs (4) 12's and one on front /rear and it would beat your ass... and later on with a Soundstream reference 404 on front/rear, and a reference 700 on the subs. but that was in a 79 Pontiac Bonneville 2dr... I did db drags once and ran 138.4db... it whooped ass!!

lol...I know a guy that's running 6 12s on 600 rms...it bangs pretty good...again...its the enclosure and wired ohms to make the amp work to full capacity

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes... we both know the Orion were more than 100 watts... actually they were rated at 25×2... I think I have the actual spec sheet on them still somewhere?

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
old school audio...lol

I still have a US Amps 50x2 amp somewhere in the garage. 50x2 at 8 ohms and its .5 ohm stable, that equates to ALOT of power. Looking through the clear bottom there is 8 gauge wiring running from the boards to the power/ground and the out puts.

Nothing wrong with "old school"

I know, old thread bump

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the member said, everyone is different as to what sound their looking for. I've been around sound systems in cars since the early seventies, when you had to make woofer enclosures and most items yourself. I remember when stock Ford, or Chevy stereos were horrible. We thought we were the man with a pioneer, or Blaupunkt after market unit, with a set of pioneer 6x9 speakers. Amps consisted of equalizer amp combos,that boosted the original 5 watts per channel. Just sounded loud and distorted to me. When they came out I ran alpine pre- amp only head units with separate amps, and separate speakers like Ads and a single 12 inch SUB. I remember the difference my 60 wpc Alpine amp made to my single SUB when I found out that amp could run in mono at 120 watts. Volume and bump went way up. What's disappointing nowadays because of rising costs, is the garbage quality of most stuff available. Ah the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spsfrank98

Reaction score
I have a 03 EB with the in dash CD changer and the 8" sub which doesn't sound to bad. Im going to put in a double din radio with some speakers and a 5 channel amp. I'm curious does anyone have an idea an the cubic footage of the stock sub enclosure is I'm thinking of putting a 10" sub in there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am old school still listening to cd's.lol but anyway "I plan to use what i already have" my old ass 2700 hundred watt 4 channel amp and my 2-12's sony explodes subs from 2009 lol in sealed custom made box with my old ass Alpine cd player head unit from 2000 ,that is if i decide i want to install the head unit not too sure, but right now using everything that came stock 1999 expedition eb with mach system an have one of my 12"s hooked to factory amp and i am surprised it bumps pretty good for just a tiny stock amp but i am looking for just a bit more not trying to go down the street vibrating all the windows in ppls houses one of these years i might upgrade to something newer just maybe

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am old school still listening to cd's.lol but anyway "I plan to use what i already have" my old ass 2700 hundred watt 4 channel amp and my 2-12's sony explodes subs from 2009 lol in sealed custom made box with my old ass Alpine cd player head unit from 2000 ,that is if i decide i want to install the head unit not too sure, but right now using everything that came stock 1999 expedition eb with mach system an have one of my 12"s hooked to factory amp and i am surprised it bumps pretty good for just a tiny stock amp but i am looking for just a bit more not trying to go down the street vibrating all the windows in ppls houses one of these years i might upgrade to something newer just maybe

I bought a JVC headunit for my last SUV in 2006 and was still running it when I sold the vehicle in 2015. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a JVC headunit for my last SUV in 2006 and was still running it when I sold the vehicle in 2015. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Some of that old school stuff was built like a TANK! I had a JVC that lasted forever, just like yours. I also had a Pioneer P1R that was beyond advanced in 2000 when I sold it to my buddy and was still being used as of this past summer.