How NOT to replace a broken window motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyH

Reaction score
I've included a couple of before and after stiches picutures, so if you don't like the sight of blood, be warned.

The drivers door power window on our 98 Expedtion was broken, and the best price I could get from a repair shop was around $300, so I figured I'd do it myself. The motor cost me $50 at the local checker auto parts and it looked like a pretty straight forward R&R.

I got the window regulator and motor out without a problem, but when I went to remove the motor from the regulator, I forgot about the coil spring (kinda of like a big watch spring) that helps the motor raise and lower the window. I did read the directions that came with the replacement motor and I don't remember seeing any warnings about this or about securing the spring tension. The only thing holding the tension on the spring was the old motor and when I pulled that off, the regulator spun around and part of the metal bracket smashed me in the face, hitting me in the mouth.

The braket broke two of my center, lower teeth in pieces, one is broken of near the base, the other is broken at an angle. My lip has about a half inch gash which took three stiches to close. There is also abraisions on the the top and inside of the lip as well.

The lip was stiched up at the emergency room last night and has swollen up quite a bit since then. It's sore and as long as I don't try to talk, it doesn't hurt too much.

I was able to get a dental appointment today and I'll know more about what needs to be done later today.

Bottom line, in trying to save $250, I'm probably going to be spending two grand on dental reconstruction.

Life can be a big s**t sandwhich sometime....and right now I can't even take a big bite without hurting!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 414
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 512

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i hate to laugh cuz it looks like it hurts but i am laughing so hard right now just picturing how this all went down! im sorry bud. sure hope it doesnt cost you too much to get it all fixed.

OP
OP
R

RustyH

Reaction score
Okay, just got back from the dentist. There's no feeling in the two broken teeth, but he says they could be in shock or something like that, so it's a "wait and see" plan for now. I a couple of weeks after the sweeling goes down we'll check the teeth again to see how they're doing. If I have sensitivity to cold or heat by then, the best option is to set me up with a couple of new crowns. If they're still dead, probably a root canal and then either a bridge or dual crown. For now, without any novacain or nothing, he just ground the raggaed edges smooth so I won't cut my tounge up. I was amazed that I didn't feel anything. The dentist also discovered, by using the Xray) that there are some tooth peices embedded in my bottom lip. When I got back next week to have the stiches removed, I'll have the doctors see about getting them out.

I also took the window regulator and new motor to my local garage and they tensioned up the spring and installed the new motor for $20. Re-installing it today took about a half hour. A little slow going up and very fast going down. I think the spring needs some more tension, but I ain't gonna do it!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that sucks... hope your ok though... but on the other hand that is freaking funny... to bad no video of it... i'm sorry we aren't laughing at you we are laughing with you....

OP
OP
R

RustyH

Reaction score
wow that sucks... hope your ok though... but on the other hand that is freaking funny... to bad no video of it... i'm sorry we aren't laughing at you we are laughing with you....

My son is the one who took the cell phone photos (you can see him in the one where you can see my glasses. He says from now on, whenever I work on the truck he's going to be standing by with his video camera. I told him he'd better get comfortable holding a wrench, becuase I'm not going to be working on this truck forever!

In all honesty, as bad as this was, I consider myself lucky. This could just as easily hit me in the eye and that would have really sucked big time.

Last edited:

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont know what to say but WOW thats got to suck, ill remember to break out my full face helmet if i ever run into that problem, first window vs battle wound ive ever heard of, drunk as hell one day i slammed my fingers in the glove box thought that sucked, good thing i was drunk, think that was the same day i pi$$ed on the electric fence, NOT GOOD, was only about 10 foot from charger,what was i thinking, but ****** has nothin on a good old fashion jolt from a 50 mile live stock fence charger, yeah there was some current there, ever see a weed hit one, yeah it snaps the weed in half, if you have a good one, needless to say i did not want to have to weed eat around fence lines so i got the biggest badest charger i could, mostly to keep horses from walking through it, but to help with weed grounding to, didnt pay off for me that day

Last edited: