rear wiper slow or stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWPWR

Reaction score
my 04 expedition rear wiper hung up and was not in the complete park position. this would drain the battery . pull the fuse until you can repair the "wiper shaft". it's real easy.

•Flip open the wiper arm lid over the shaft nut
•remove the shaft nut
•remove the rubber type grommet
•clean and remove the "C" type clip ring on the shaft
•remove the large nut that was under the grommet
•open the rear window
•make note where inside nuts are prior to removing for correct installation later
•remove the two nuts that hold assembly to rear glass
•remove the assembly

--you will notice the assemble arm is hard to move or doesn't seem to move

•oil up where the wiper arm nut was, to help with freeing the shaft

--you will see a washer on the shaft and under that an "O-ring" remove them

•put the nut back on the shaft so you don't ruin the threads
•start tapping the nut with a hammer

--the shaft is going to slide out the assembly, but may need to be tapped a number of times

•once out oil the shaft and the brass sleeve where the shaft was in
•clean the gunk off the shaft
•clean the gunk out of the sleeve
•grease up the shaft and reinstall into sleeve

--put assemble back together and notice how easy it moves now.

--put assembly back on the rear glass where original markings were

•wiper arm needs to be in the "park" position, down
•install fuse and test!

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear wiper slow or stuck.

What he says. Good advice. Moisture seeps through that "O" ring.
White metal housing that wiper shaft goes through swells up with
corrosion, seizing the shaft. Ford probably didn't put adequate lubrication from new. Bronze bushing is usually OK.
After removing corrosion from shaft housing I pack in a water resistant red grease containing silicone that is used for the sliding pins on brake calipers.
It's called "Siliglide". For good measure, the "O" ring, if not damaged, gets the grease and extra "O" rings are added OUTSIDE the big nut before the wiper arm is attached.
They're not going anywhere and will help keep moisture out of the housing. A bad execution of the rear wiper design by Ford, IMHO. The 1rst gen rear wiper was more complicated and expensive to manufacture, but for me, was more reliable than this one. Haven't had any issues since rebuilding mine. Do it to yours instead of wasting over $80 on a new mechanism.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wiper arm went half way and stuck this morning so I went looking for a way to lube it. I found this thread and decided to unstick my wiper arm shaft. All went fine until I went to remove the big flat nut and the I sheared off the threaded tube part that comes from the latch plate/transmission on the inside of the glass hatch. The nut was incredibly corroded and even with PB Blaster it didn't really help.

Soo, I ordered a new latch plate and I ordered the wiper arm & blade assembly from the '12 to upgrade the look while I'm at it. I should have it tomorrow.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rear wiper transmission/glass striker plate, and I changed the wiper arm and blade last Friday when it was 72 degrees outside.

It turned out pretty nice if I must say so myself.

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG