Urgent Help with expy 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Hello every one, I have a problem with my expedition eb 98, 3 days ago start to do something strange, the indication lamps of oil and gas turn on for a second and then all turn off, when I try to start the engine again I don't have any light on the dashboard, like the expy don't have power, but the interior lights was turned on. What I did was unplug the battery wait a minute and then plug in again, then start again, but a few minutes later happend the same, the gas and oil lights come on and a few seconds turn off again. The difference in this month with the past was I full the tank. I will try to get a scanner but if you can give me some help I will appreciate a lot, this is my only vehicle and I live 15miles from city.
Thanks in advance for your help, I really don't know what could be, a relay, pump, sensor, I don't know.
Best regards

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get a scanner , iit could be alot of things from the gem module to something stupid , like a connection , .. ie loose or frayed wiring .

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard of a soldering joint on the back of the dash wearing over time and consequently causing the dash to act strangely. Unfortunately you have to remove the dash, but its a fairly straight forward fix. Do some googling on ford expedition dash soldering.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your answers, the scanners results was no codes, it's fine, and the guy told me that maybe could be wather on the tank, I buy a fuel system cleaner (rislone) in autozone and I put in the tank, until now I don't have any failure, but I don't know if this problem could be caused by a bad gasoline, or whater on it, the gas filter is new (10 days ago) I have no leaks, and I will check the wiring and belt in a few moments.
Do you know how to check if a relay is ok? for also check the relays (the fuses all are ok).
Thanks again to all for your answers, if I don't have any failure this weekend, I will post a new replay with problem fixed.
Have a nice weekend. If you have any other idea is welcome.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the gas , when it hit 0 miles to empty ? got that fixed , when I first got my truck running again , as it sat for months , glad to hear that you got it fixed . I would look for something stupid first . Usually the kind of problem with 4 guys standing around , and some guy comes over and looks and says ? you may want to hook up the coil wire ..

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
was to fast for say "problem fixed" after driving 15mins aprox. the truck stop again, I really don't know what could be, I don't have error codes in the scanner, the fuel filter is new, no leaks, all fuses ok, how can I know if the fuel pump is the problem? and in autozone there is 2 options with the pump, complete or just a spare part, like a cilinder.
Any ideas? I really need your help, when shutdown if I turn of the switch and open again I don't have any indication lamp turned on before start, as allways happen when you insert the key and turn to start, all lighs come on, and that don't happend I need wait a few for start again and see all the lights on in the dashboard. Any ideas? note: all the interior light, windows, chime, etc. works perfect, just the indicator in the dashboard don't (battery gauge, indication lamps, brake, gas)
Thanks for your help

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sir,

how old is your alternator? these are similar, not all, symptoms i had when my alternator went bad. it would just shut off, sometimes restart, and barely stay running with many lights/indicators flashing on the dashboard.

for fuel pump, you should hear it energizing when you turn the key to the first position prior to engaging the starter. Is there any chance that someone hit your vehicle and it triggered the fuel cutoff inertia switch? I've never heard of it doing this, but have to ask. I'd check that connector too...should be on the passenger side kick panel to the right and below the glove box. pull that panel off and push the button.

PanHandler.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as a ground or intermittent lack of . good advice from the previous poster ...