‘08 Bad bump steer after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m new to the lifted vehicle world. I just lifted my 2008 and installed bigger tires yesterday. (I’ve driven lifted stuff before, but never lifted anything of mine)

The stock 20” Limited wheels and the stock tire size had no abnormal characteristics that bothered me. This thing actually rode like a pillow for being huge and having 160k miles.

I did the 3/2” level/lift kit or whatever the size is, and installed 35x11.50r20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. When the shop installed the tires, I also had them inspect everything while they were down there, as well as a 4 wheel alignment of course.

The thing travels straight down the road to a T. I could let go for a mile and still be straight.

It obvisouly rides pretty stiff now, but nothing I didn’t expect after lifting it and changing the geometry of the suspension. (I love all the companies “Does not affect ride quality!” claims)

My issue, however, is bump steer. Any bumps, potholes, manhole covers, etc make my steering wheel turn in either direction. It’s not that it’s hard to control, or I feel like I’m gonna veer into traffic or anything, but it’s just really bothersome.

I’ve driven a handful of friends lifted trucks before and they never had any bump steer. (I hope that’s the right term I’m using?) They ranged from 16” wheels and 40” tires, to 22” wheels and 35-38” mid tires, so both extremes really.

The shop said everything under the truck looked great, and the alignment is spot on like I mentioned above.

What could cause this after the lift? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it or minimize it aside from returning to stock height?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about lifting vehicles, and I'm surprised you haven't received any replies, as it seems like it would be a common complaint with simple answers. Have you investigated a steering stabilizer?

My Excursion had one stock from the factory and when it failed, the car exhibited the symptoms you describe. Might be worth looking into, though hopefully you can find someone who can put their finger on the exact cause of the problem. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing your cause and solution.

A voice in my head tells me the caster is way out, but, as I said, I'm really no expert in this. Did you get a printout with the alignment that you can check?

OP
OP
B

briandye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s a great point about the alignment sheet. I know Belle always gives one, but I’m not sure if Firestone put one in the paperwork they gave me, I’ll have to check. I wondered about something being off to, the tires/wheels all visually appear to be perfectly straight, and level, and I can let go of the wheel (IF the road is smooth! Lol) and go straight down the road.

I don’t know anything about lifted vehicles either, as this is my first, I feel like if this was “norma” behavior after a lift, there would be mention of it, but I can’t find anything.

I don’t even know how a steering stabilizer works or mounts, but that’s definitly what I thought might help too.

I’ll definitely post back if I find/do anything to help it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Around these parts, tire franchise stores hire "technicians" at minimum wage without experience. It's impossible to get a proper alignment at that type of place in New York. If you are lucky they will just set the car to the manufacturer's standards. Why not seek out a real front end shop? They will discuss the problem with you and should know right away what the cause may be.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Isn't bump steer the result of not enough toe-in? Maybe castor, as suggested, but driving perfectly straight and then twisting off on a bump sounds like not enough toe-in. If they got the factory spec's "perfect", it still might not be right. This should be easy to do yourself btw... give a tiny twist in on both sides (like, 1/8 inch total) see how it drives, then either set it back or keep driving. Count the threads to measure 1/8 total, and do both sides so the steering wheel doesn't go crooked. Yea, yea, you are supposed to measure fore and aft, but 1/8 inch should be easy enough for a trial.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is everything tightened down nicely and properly torqued?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've probably solved the problem by now, but just in case you haven't you need a drop pitman arm and anything else associated with the steering linkage. The tie rod ends are now angled and not in line with the pivot points. The straighter your steering linkage, the less bump steer.