‘12 Expy Limited cold start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
It looks like the fuel pump regulator is part of the fuel pump. How did you replace it without replacing the whole pump?

Mine will start, but won't run. No codes, but I touch the gas and it stalls.

OP
OP
C

CrazyR

Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator on the 2012 is on the drivers side rear wheel well. If you jack up the back tire it drops everything out of the way and you should see it mounted on top of the frame. There’s a small plastic shroud that you can unscrew and move out the way but I found jacking up the tire drops the suspension and everything to access just fine. You’ll see the unit held on with two bolts and an electrical connection.

OP
OP
C

CrazyR

Reaction score
I was told if the pump goes out it won’t throw any codes. It’s sounding like that could be your main issue. I’m no expert though.

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
The fuel pressure regulator on the 2012 is on the drivers side rear wheel well. If you jack up the back tire it drops everything out of the way and you should see it mounted on top of the frame. There’s a small plastic shroud that you can unscrew and move out the way but I found jacking up the tire drops the suspension and everything to access just fine. You’ll see the unit held on with two bolts and an electrical connection.
It sounds like you are describing the Fuel Pump Control Module. In the earlier version it's called the Fuel Pump Driver Module.
I believe the regulator is part of the fuel pump.

I'm irritated because I just bought this thing. I'm talking to the dealer tomorrow, but legally I don't think I can do anything. I need them to do the right thing. I don't feel like spending lots of money and throwing parts at this thing.

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
You won't happen to have a part number on that would you. Advanced Auto, Amazon all say the part doesn't fit our truck but I'm pretty sure I have the correct part.

OP
OP
C

CrazyR

Reaction score
That’s the fuel pressure regulator. It’s on the left rear frame rail.

B90FEAAA-B53F-4221-94B8-396187F02F9B.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CrazyR

Reaction score
Update- replaces the fuel pump and still hard starts after sitting for 3 or more hours.

Matthew Jenkins

Reaction score
I brought mine back to the dealer since I just bought it. They are telling me the ECM needs to be reflashed. It is simply not reading the sensors properly and giving out the right information to the pump, injectors or anything else. If this is true no parts replacement will fix the issue.

I did see a guy have this as a solution on youtube. It was a misfire issue but replacing all the parts did nothing. He sent out the ECU and everything works correctly now.

I will keep you posted.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any smoke produced when it starts as though it is running rich? Possibly a leaky injector flooding a cylinder out.

OP
OP
C

CrazyR

Reaction score
Shouldn’t it throw a code if a injector isn’t working right?