‘13 Limited EL, 2 Zone Climate Controls Blower Motor Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR_Limited

Reaction score
I’m having trouble with my front blower. This has been addressed in some previous posts but it was for different model years and I have already replaced the resistor so I’m trying to see if there are other ideas.

Currently my blower is working strong and the system is cooling wonderfully. The problem occurs when I turn press the “off” button the fan blows stronger, when I press “auto” button the fan blows not as strong, and the fan speed up and down does nothing.

Here’s the events leading up to this situation. Last week the blower stopped working. I checked the fuses (battery junction box f32 and f57 and smart junction box f15 and f37-all fine) and relay. The relay was bad so I replaced it. It worked fine until the next day but the relay was fine.

When it failed the next day, I referred to my Haynes guide, which actually doesn’t address the 2 zone system but led me to the resistor. I found it with carbon and some lightly disfigured plastic. I replaced it with Orielly’s part RU893. I wanted to use Motorcraft but it was 100° and the part was available right away and it had the lifetime warranty.

It worked fine until the end of the weekend. I took the resistor off and found a slight amount of carbon and discoloration on the #2 pin (same pin showing damage previously). I exchanged it under warranty and it still did not work. At that point I noticed the plug had heat damage. I replaced the plug with Orielly’s part number. S1763. Everything worked fine including the off button and the fan speed controls.
Today the new situation with the controls started happening. Any ideas of what I should check next. The previous post suggested replacing the thermal resistor. Is there another controller besides that I should look at or test?

Resistor

Plug

bschoch

Reaction score
Any resolution here? I am having similar issues... Just seeing if you eventually replaced the HVAC control head, or what?
Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m having trouble with my front blower. This has been addressed in some previous posts but it was for different model years and I have already replaced the resistor so I’m trying to see if there are other ideas.

Currently my blower is working strong and the system is cooling wonderfully. The problem occurs when I turn press the “off” button the fan blows stronger, when I press “auto” button the fan blows not as strong, and the fan speed up and down does nothing.

Here’s the events leading up to this situation. Last week the blower stopped working. I checked the fuses (battery junction box f32 and f57 and smart junction box f15 and f37-all fine) and relay. The relay was bad so I replaced it. It worked fine until the next day but the relay was fine.

When it failed the next day, I referred to my Haynes guide, which actually doesn’t address the 2 zone system but led me to the resistor. I found it with carbon and some lightly disfigured plastic. I replaced it with Orielly’s part RU893. I wanted to use Motorcraft but it was 100° and the part was available right away and it had the lifetime warranty.

It worked fine until the end of the weekend. I took the resistor off and found a slight amount of carbon and discoloration on the #2 pin (same pin showing damage previously). I exchanged it under warranty and it still did not work. At that point I noticed the plug had heat damage. I replaced the plug with Orielly’s part number. S1763. Everything worked fine including the off button and the fan speed controls.
Today the new situation with the controls started happening. Any ideas of what I should check next. The previous post suggested replacing the thermal resistor. Is there another controller besides that I should look at or test?

Resistor

Plug

Did you replaced the connector / pigtail with an updated part: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

OP
OP
O

OR_Limited

Reaction score
Any resolution here? I am having similar issues... Just seeing if you eventually replaced the HVAC control head, or what?
Thanks!
No I haven’t. I am just getting back into it. I didn’t know replacing the control head was an option. It is becoming more an issue now that the weather is cooler as I don’t want tge fan on high until the engine is warm and the heat is on. I’ll look into it. Any information you have about the head control would be helpful!

OP
OP
O

OR_Limited

Reaction score
I took it in and the are saying i is the climate/hvac control unit. Too bad there aren’t any available to buy…

paupeter726

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Exped. EL and this is happening. Did you change the control head unit?
Look like from above you were not able to find any.

OP
OP
O

OR_Limited

Reaction score
I have one on order at my local dealership. I tried buying a salvage unit but it had the same problem. So I’m returning it. I’m about to open up the hvac control unit to see if I can identify something fixable in the unit. It’s a long shot but since the part isn’t available right now, it’s my only way through.

OP
OP
O

OR_Limited

Reaction score
I resolved the issue a couple of months ago. I moved and took it to the service department at a local Ford dealership at my new location. They tracked the issue to the resistor. The previous service department had miss-diagnosed it. They replaced the resistor and it works great. I do not need a new control unit.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I resolved the issue a couple of months ago. I moved and took it to the service department at a local Ford dealership at my new location. They tracked the issue to the resistor. The previous service department had miss-diagnosed it. They replaced the resistor and it works great. I do not need a new control unit.
Make sure you check the resistor's wire harness for melted/burnt spots.
Sometimes mechanics let a spot go as long as it works. But it still could cause you trouble. So just pull the harness off in the passengers footwell and inspect inside the connector where the connection takes place. Look for melted plastic or a burnt spot. If the harness has been spliced in it has already been fixed at least once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni