‘19 Expedition Not recognizing key fobs?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteknight8

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am having issues with my ‘19 Ford Expedition limited not recognizing my key fobs. The vehicle utilizes keyless entry and push button start. The vehicle, at random times, will not recognize the key fobs being in my hand or in my pocket and will not unlock the vehicle. This requires me to utilize the back up hidden key feature within the fob. After using the hidden key feature I will then have to quickly get in the vehicle and put the key fob in the emergency key fob slot (under the cup holder in center console) and then push the push button start button. I don’t understand why the vehicle will not recognize the key fob at random times. I have put new batteries in both key fobs and that did not fix the problem. I also brought the vehicle to the dealership who also could not figure out the issue. The dealership replaced the vehicle battery thinking that would be the solution and it was not. I’m hoping there is someone out there that has had the same issue and knows a fix. Please help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do the buttons on the fob still work to lock and unlock the door?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that this will be the solution to your problem, but we had a similar problem with a 2011 Lincoln when it was a couple years old but still under warranty. Wife would drive somewhere (always on the other side of town) and park. The first time was at Costco getting gas, the second was going to a meeting. Both times the car failed to recognize the fob she was carrying necessitating me driving across town with the spare...fortunately I retired before her. The second incident, the "spare" fob was the one that didn't work the first time. Finally the nearby Ford dealer where we took it for service contacted Lincoln engineering and after brainstorming several possibilities, their solution was to "re-pair" both fobs to the car. I threw out the paperwork when we replaced that vehicle, so I can't document a specific repair code. Never happened again

OP
OP
W

whiteknight8

Reaction score
do the buttons on the fob still work to lock and unlock the door?
Yes they do intermittently. The work the same time as when the vehicle recognizes the key fob. If the vehicle isn’t recognizing the key fob, then the buttons on the fob do not unlock the vehicle either.

Kudie

Reaction score
Is it at the same location? My wife worked at a dairy Queen and ther was a ba nk nextdoor and arealty across the street. Was a 2017 fusion with push button start and it would randomly do that at work. Worked fine everywhere else. Figured it was security systems.

OP
OP
W

whiteknight8

Reaction score
Is it at the same location? My wife worked at a dairy Queen and ther was a ba nk nextdoor and arealty across the street. Was a 2017 fusion with push button start and it would randomly do that at work. Worked fine everywhere else. Figured it was security systems.
No it’s at all different locations. I did read in the manual that sometimes metals (like keys or cell phone) can interfere with the key fob signal. But we have tried literally holding the key fobs right next to vehicle and next to ignition and still doesn’t fix the problem. Thanks though!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my jeep wrangler there were issues with the WCM (wireless control module) and it would do stuff like this. I don't know how ford does it though.

Deep8174

Reaction score
If the dealer was willing to give you new batteries perhaps they would be willing to give you new key fobs to see if that works

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE