‘19 Expedition Not recognizing key fobs?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my jeep wrangler there were issues with the WCM (wireless control module) and it would do stuff like this. I don't know how ford does it though.
There is a module called the radio control Module (I believe) it is located on the right pillar beside the second row headrest. Or at least that's where they used to place it. That module controls the key fobs, ford pass connect and the am/fm I believe. But I don't know much else about it.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you end up having to replace the WCM? Or what was your fix? Thanks
I am not 100% certain what the fix was. In my case the jeeps have a key ignition and supposedly there was static electricity from the key that did something to disrupt the system. I don't know for sure if the wcm was toast and had to be replaced or if there was some other fix for it. My problem came and went but after taking it in whatever they did resolved it. In the jeep's case it ended up being a warranty item and when I took it in I was getting some other safety recalls done and didn't pay much attention to what the paper work said when I was done.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the vehicle start when you place the key/fob in the recess under the cup holder when the vehicle isn't otherwise responding to the fob? If it does, that eliminates the fobs themselves as the problem. The random aspect sounds like an interference/hacking issue. This was mentioned in one of the posts above. The system is designed to shut off access to the fobs when the receiver in the vehicle is being bombarded by "false" signals of the same frequency. In their infinite wisdom, our FCC assigned the fob frequency to wireless security systems used in homes and businesses as well key fobs. If your vehicle is parked in the vicinity of one of these security systems, it can lead to a shutdown. Hackers trying to get into random or specific vehicles in parking lots can accomplish the same thing by constantly running random codes at higher than allowed power output, trying to pop locks and start cars.

I experienced this along with 3 other vehicles parked at a South Dakota grocery store a few years ago. All 3 vehicles shut down the RF controls. They were parked between a remote parking lot camera and the base transceiver for a half hour. We experimented parking a vehicle in the same area at another time and repeated the issue.

Let us know what you find!

OP
OP
W

whiteknight8

Reaction score
Does the vehicle start when you place the key/fob in the recess under the cup holder when the vehicle isn't otherwise responding to the fob? If it does, that eliminates the fobs themselves as the problem. The random aspect sounds like an interference/hacking issue. This was mentioned in one of the posts above. The system is designed to shut off access to the fobs when the receiver in the vehicle is being bombarded by "false" signals of the same frequency. In their infinite wisdom, our FCC assigned the fob frequency to wireless security systems used in homes and businesses as well key fobs. If your vehicle is parked in the vicinity of one of these security systems, it can lead to a shutdown. Hackers trying to get into random or specific vehicles in parking lots can accomplish the same thing by constantly running random codes at higher than allowed power output, trying to pop locks and start cars.

I experienced this along with 3 other vehicles parked at a South Dakota grocery store a few years ago. All 3 vehicles shut down the RF controls. They were parked between a remote parking lot camera and the base transceiver for a half hour. We experimented parking a vehicle in the same area at another time and repeated the issue.

Let us know what you find!
Robert thank you for the response! If this is problem, then what would the solution be? I’m not sure if this is the issue because we have a security system at out residence. Sometimes the vehicle recognizes the fob at home, sometimes it doesn’t.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This all helps tremendously!

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Robert thank you for the response! If this is problem, then what would the solution be? I’m not sure if this is the issue because we have a security system at out residence. Sometimes the vehicle recognizes the fob at home, sometimes it doesn’t.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This all helps tremendously!
Whitenight:

First, I would try to determine if this is the issue by temporarily disabling the security system completely (depowering it) while continuing to park the vehicle in the same place where it disabled the fobs previously and see if it fixes the issue. If it does, then you have some choices: first, I would contact the manufacturer/installer of the security system and see if they have any suggestions. I suspect you aren't the first person to experience/complain about the issue. Second, if that doesn't yield a solution, you have to move the vehicle, or move the security system. I would look at relocating cameras/rf sensors and the base unit as far as possible from where the vehicle is parked.

In my particular situation mentioned above, we highly suspected that it was the broadcasting from the remote camera near our vehicles that was causing the problem, we were able to park in many other places in the lot over the years without incident (we're bird hunters that return to the same town 1 week/year to hunt and utilize this particular lot frequently during that week).

I hope this helps.