‘22 Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you adjust anything for the running board? I can’t find it.
You can do it though the center touch screen. I believe it's under the Features button at the bottom of the screen, depending what screen you have.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticed another side "benefit" of the running boards opening on unlock today. I was rinsing my expy at the coin wash today and as I rinsed over the door handles and the doors locked/unlocked the boards went up and down. At least 3 or 4 times. There will be a lot of reports of the motors failing in 2 years

Ford must have really changed the logic with the running board deployment. If I rinse my 2018 door handles while the fob is in my pocket, the doors lock/unlock, but the running boards don't deploy unless the door is actually opened. Also really weird that both running boards deploy at the same time regardless of which door is opened.

Infra246

Reaction score
Correct, on 22s they both come down when you unlock the vehicle, a lot of wasted motor cycles on both motors.

chaffdb

Reaction score
As a bit of an update on the running board issue, we took our '22 that we have had since September and have about 11k miles on to the shop with a few minor issues (I will post more on the others later) and asked the running board setting to be looked into. The tech agreed with us and couldn't find a solution, so they contacted Ford. Ford's response is below.

I read it is as saying we are all just idiots and the extending setting is working as designed. In reality though, it's Ford's design that is idiotic to me. The extended timer, according to the below, only alters the time the running boards stay down when the vehicle is unlocked and before a door is opened. Apparently once a door is opened, the timer setting doesn't have an effect and isn't supposed to, and once the door is closed they are doing up no matter what. Just a poor design and really unfortunate. I was really hoping for an update that would make the extending timer work like I think we all thought it would. As it is, I try to leave a door cracked to keep them down while loading kids and stuff in the car. Overall we love the vehicle, but we have had a few small nagging issues that have taken some of the luster off, so to speak. I'm going to post this in a few running board threads since there are several on this issue.
Ford re running boards.jpg

rayh1967

Reaction score
For those of you with your ‘22 already, have a question. Do your power running boards work independently from one another or do they extend together regardless of which door is opened?

On my parents’ 2020 KR, the boards are independent and only extend if a door is opened on that particular side. On my 2022 Limited 303A, no matter which door you open both boards extend. It drives me crazy putting a kid in on the passenger side and by the time I get to the driver’s side the boards are raising, only to have to extend again mid-cycle. Seems like a great opportunity for wear vs my parents’ 2020. The precious design is exponentially better IMO.

My ‘22 does have a setting for an “Extended” timer on the boards (says 5min), but it doesn’t work. No matter if it’s in the standard or extended timer, the boards close within a few seconds. This is probably my biggest complaint on this vehicle. Trying to figure out if there’s something wrong with mine or if it’s a bad design/bug.
I have a 2022 with exact same issue. Delay timer does not work. Dealer is unable to solve and sending tech report back to ford. Per our Ford Service tech he believes root cause is programming issue not hardware.