00 Expedtion Front Differential Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisluke50

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took my 00 Expedition XLT out offroading yesterday and went a little too hard. I need some help identifying certain parts that need to be replaced. I attatched two pictures with the extent of the damage. I already ordered the front outter cv axle, front shock. Now for the fun part. I didn't know the true extent of the damage until this morning. I broke the front right axle shaft tube that connects to the front differential. The front differential housing seal needed to be replaced anyways. What parts are needed to fix the inner part?

*Front inner axle (passenger side)
-what else is needed?
*Front inner axle tube (passenger side)
*Front differential housing gasket
*Differential fluid

Also, how hard is it to drop the front axle carrier? I'm mechanically inclined and have most of the tools needed. I assume I'm going to have to drop the front differential, disconnect the driver's side cv axle. Remove the differential cover, unbolt C clip to passenger side shaft. After that will the axle come right out or do I need a slide hammer? How many bearings are associated with fixing that side? How much fluid is needed after fix? What is the part names actually called? Sorry for the questions.

Attachments

• IMAG0699.jpg
    IMAG0699.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0700.jpg
    IMAG0700.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 434
OP
OP
C

chrisluke50

Reaction score
It might be cheaper and easier to just replace the front carrier (differential). Two questions though. Was there different ratios used in different Expedition models? Most of them that I am seeing are 3.55 and I was also curious on where I would look to see if my carrier had an actuator on it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
2000 expy does not have center axle disconnect if that is what your asking nor IWE's. They also come with open differentials. No locker or trac loc unit. According to my ford workshop manual you remove front axle assembly to replace the broken axle tube.

I would replace half shaft as a unit. Easier and fairly inexpensive.

You might consider a skid plate if they make one for the expy assuming you physically hit something with the axle.

Sorry about your misfortune but you should have posted photos on how and when it happened!! Impressive.

Some members here have CD roms with shop manual. Hopefully they will post steps necessary or you can purchase one online yourself. I purchased ford workshop manual (hard copy in print) and prefer to use it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chrisluke50

Reaction score
Appreciate the help and respones guys. I think I'll just replace the axle tube and axle. Already started working on it today. Removed the shock and broken cv. The differiental doesn't look too hard to drop. Should be cake.

OP
OP
C

chrisluke50

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am just going to replace the whole front carrier. Local wrecking yard has them pretty cheap and I can't find an axle tube to save my life. It'll be simple enough to swap carriers. My big question is "with vacuum disconnect" or "without"? There is a line running right by the tag on the carrier? Is this the vacuum line? I've tried to search for a straight answer but nothing. I've read that 99+ doesn't have them, awd doesn't have them. 2000 Expedition XLT awd. Can someone help so I can order my carrier please. The line runs up behind my battery which I assume is a vacuum disconnect. Axle code H9 which is 3.55 I assume. :) Thanks guys.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that should be your vent hose, 97-98 had vacuum disconnect axles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chrisluke50

Reaction score
I think you're right about that hose being the vent tube. I had the wrecking yard help me determine if I had an vacuum disconnect or not. The diaphram for a vacuum disconnect is attached to the carrier. I was confused because of the vent hose, it made me think that I might have had a disconnect on it. The difference is clear as day. If it doesn't have a diaphram connected to it, then no vacuum disconnect. The wrecking yard is going to hook me up with a new carrier assembly for $128.

Thanks again guys. Will update.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360