01 5.4L 2v with thread tap that won't come out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin_durbin

Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short,

01 Expedition
5.4L 2v

Started to leave work other day and blew #2 plug out. Towed home and discovered threads went with the plug, new plug wouldn't tighten at all. Bought this kit: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...-spark-plug-thread-repair-system/p/141511_0_0 hoping it would work as it's got decent reviews. Except you have to grind the top of the tap to fit a socket that will fit the plug hole. Got the tap down in the head to start cutting the second set of threads for the insert after coating with grease, turned 2 turns and backed it out and it won't come out. Tap is loose cause I can wiggle with my finger but it's stuck. Looped a piece of wire around it and tugged but no success. Tried a strong magnet on the end of my socket. Nothing. I'm to the point of trying to put jb weld on the inside of my socket and extension, to hopefully turn to the left and pull the tap up and out. I hate to say it but I'm starting to think I'll have to pull the head. Any suggestions?