02 EB roof splitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, this has been getting worse and worse the past 3 years ive owned it. The rain channels on the roof are splitting down both sides on both sides of the truck. This has allowed moisture in to the cab. I have no I idea wtf is causing this to happen. It's also splitting at the hinges on the rear hatch. Has anyone else experienced this at all? I just ran caulk on it today. I dunno what else to do aside from grinding it out and welding it. Not what I really want or plan to do. I'll sell it before I do that.

I can't get it to start now either. Been sitting for a good 3 mos. I can start it with starter fluid, but it dies right after. I can't hear the fuel pump prime either when keyed on. I dunno wtf to do. Any help is appreciated. I ordered a new fp today. I guess I'll start there.

Also, after sitting for like a week, the battery starts dying. What're the major grounding points that should be checked?

phillip s fees

Reaction score
I think your on the right track with the fuel pump. Pump is in the tank so less gas in the tank the better. Best to have 2 guys doing the job although one can do it. There is a couple of youtube videos on it.

Batteries will degrade over time from sitting. Since you cant start it there is no way for your battery to get a charge. My bet would be once you get it going and drive it for a day your batteery will be fine unless unless it is degraded to the point of not being able to receive a charge.

Maybe some pics on the roof??

OP
OP
98Sexpedition

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm almost positive that the fuel pump is the no start issue. My dilemma is that I let my gf drive it, and she ended up having to pull over because it quit running while driving it. She pulled off the road in tall grass and didn't notice a big ol' fire hydrant in front of her when she drove off after it restarted. Was about a 5-10mph acceleration. Bent the bumper and broke the plastics for the fogs. Also damaged the transmission cooler??, whatever is mounted behind the bumper on the body. This is all aside from the roof issue. Anyway, drove it home from the hydrant issue. Parked it and didn't bother with it for about 2.5 months.

Battery is literally 5 mos old. I charged it and it has held pretty good since yesterday.

If you look in the pics, the roof is cracking the length of the roof rain channels. Both sides. I put the caulk on it yesterday to verify that the water is coming in thru there and it is. The interior is dry, and no leakage on the A pillar handle like it has been. Also, somewhere in the back passenger side area is dry where I noticed some puddling. Luckily, I have some weather proof mats that catch it.

20200113_170423.jpg

20200113_170428.jpg

20200113_170438.jpg

20200113_170446.jpg

OP
OP
98Sexpedition

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The visible cracks I didn't caulk are above the hinges on the rear hatch. Sorry for the ****** quality, I just got home from work and tried to get a pic before dark. Roof is filthy from sitting under a tree

OP
OP
98Sexpedition

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can see the bumper, it was almost a dead center impact. Just did hit the trans cooler or whatever it is

20200112_163335.jpg

phillip s fees

Reaction score
Tis the tranny cooler. Not hard to change. Find a junk yard and get one. As for the cracks I would hope someone with auto body experience jump in the thread. Not sure which way to go with that

OP
OP
98Sexpedition

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, its the oddest shit I've seen in quite a while. I'm thinking the best fix at this point for the roof, is a temporary fix. It's been raining here since I ran the caulk beads and there is NO water in the cab at this point. Extremely relieving, yet still sketchy AF! And just because I didn't want a semi-permanent fix just to determine if this was the leaking point, I'll remove the DAP caulk and go with the white flex seal until I can get the welding taken care of. I'm at this point thinking that I should take it to the metal and have a welder buddy run beads with a TIG and grind and paint it. It is Just the roof. Not visible to the common eye. So a more permanent solution, but still a concern with body flex and hopefully several more years of use.

I'll have the fuel pump on Friday. Planning on dropping the tank tomorrow after work and prep.

Yager

Full Access Members
Reaction score
U don't have to drop tank. Pull spare tire and lean over the axle. Pump will come right out. Don't forget your fuel line disconnect tool. Other then that it's just the connector and switch the pressure sensor from your old sending unit to the new one. I just did mine last weekend in about 20 minutes

OP
OP
98Sexpedition

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After re-caulking the roof it isn't leaking anymore. Definitely gonna get it welded shut at some point, but for now the caulk will do just fine for me. Gonna scrape it and clean it up a little then wire brush it and run white marine silicone. That'll hold for a while!