03 battery positive terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sarge

Reaction score
My 03 Expy (EB) 5.4 has a tin positive terminal clamp that is causing connection problem, and want to replace with something better. It's a tin connector with 3 cables attached. Has anyone replaced this clamp and what and where can I find an upgraded connector? Thanks for any recommendations.

Plati

Reaction score
Got any pictures? Whats it doing?

My 2003 had problems and I realized that the post is tapered. I had to fully loosen up the terminal clamp and push it down onto the post and then tighten. I figured this out after the AAA tow truck driver finished pounding on it with a pliers thinking that would work. It didn't.
I cleaned mine up, tightened everything down, and put that purple goobus on it .. all good.

Having been a cable and harness design Engineer in a previous career .. I would be cautious about replacing just the terminal, would opt for replacing the harness instead. Just me.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it bottomed out on the positive post ? Can you open it up and bottom it out ? A lot of people don't bottom the terminal out and that leads to bad connections and all kinds of electrical issues.

Keeps coming loose. Having a problem keeping it tight.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I solved this problem by buying Marine Terminals. My first battery lasted 7 years and the nut on the positive was fused to everything. Looked like it was made out of plastic and somebody took a torch to it. Of course that was the one cable that is backwards as it is the actual bolt that the nut goes on to hold the other eyelets on on the 2003 (worst design ever). So after breaking the connector to get it apart and the bolt and nut being useless, I cut the bolt part of the cable off flush with my cut off tool the drilled it out to match the new marine terminal bolt hole size. Now all the Positive connectors have eyelets and they all stack on the Marine terminals nicely. The Marine Terminals have a specific separate bolt and nut to clamp on the battery post then have a vertical threaded post to stack all eyelet connectors on with either a wing nut or one can use a nut and washer if one prefers.

CountrySplatt

Reaction score
Mine in the '04 did the same thing, except the thin metal strip that goes around the terminal corroded completely off the harness. I ended up replacing it with a marine terminal as well, with the same thought process as Transporter. With the screw and bolt for everything to attach, it meant that it got all of the thin metal away from the battery and any potential acid.