04 Evap canister assembly removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SepticFuddy

Reaction score
So I'm trying to diagnose my P0442 code. I've replaced the gas cap, PCV valve, purge valve and any disintegrating hoses I've found under the hood, still throws the code. It's also intermittently sucking in evap and revving up a little when idle/at low power, meanwhile air sucks in through the vent valve. I tried manually closing the valve in Forscan, but it sucks air regardless. I can also smell fuel vapor when it's running.

I'm trying to remove the canister/vent valve assembly to inspect it, but for the life of me cannot remove the connector with the fuel tank and vapor hoses. It's too cramped up there to get any real leverage, so I'm stuck using grip strength which just isn't enough. Even with the bolts removed, the tray is designed in a way that I can't maneuver it around the frame to bring it down for better access. So even if I just assumed the vent valve is my only problem, I can't access it to be able to replace it. Has anybody managed to do this before? I can't find any videos of anyone pulling a canister with a connector that looks anything like what's being used here. Looking at replacement canisters online, clearly that whole connector is meant to be removed, not the individual hoses. They're very tightly fixed to it anyway, as you can see by the way the triple barbs bulge their plastic. Given that there are no retaining mechanisms on either side, it appears to be something that just pulls straight off. Reference these images:

image_2022-06-07_081236070.png
signal-2022-06-06-200829_001.jpeg

Thanks for any help

OP
OP
SepticFuddy

SepticFuddy

Reaction score
Finally found someone who managed to help. Leaving this here for anyone else who needs it.

That connector has 4 barbs on the inside of the canister and no way to release them apart from simply pulling. However, the two lines going into it have quick disconnects near the tank. Releasing those along with removing the box between the vent valve and its intake hose allowed the assembly to maneuver enough to get it past the frame.