04 Expedition starting issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryteone

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and at a loss with my 2004 Expedition.
I've been driving it with no issues, as far as the engine goes anyway. I go to start it Sunday morning. It sounds good, like it's going to start, but doesn't. There's plenty of gas. I've tried jumping it, and cleaned the terminals. I googled it and it looks like it could be a whole host of things.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it could be a whole list of things. It sounds like it's turning over so jumping it won't likely help. My first thought based on my experience would be the fuel pump. Turn the ignition switch from off to run, do not try to start it, and listen for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system. The fuel pump can fail and the fuel pump relay has a tendency to melt on these.

A diagnostic scanner would be an enourmous help in your quest to identify the fault.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bryteone I agree with @whtbronco - the fuel pump or fuel pump relay are the most common causes of a crank-no-start on these Expeditions. If you do not have a scanner, you could do some basic checks. Check the fuse panel to see if the fuel pump relay is burned out. The owner manual will indicate where to find the fuel pump relay on the fuse panel. If it is bad, you might find burn marks or cracks on that module. Also, normally you can actually hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the ON position. Sounds like a whine. If you hear nothing, the fuel pump is not starting. Also here is a video about diagnosing this issue.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy test on the relay is just swap it with something that uses the same rating relay that you know works like the heated seats or ? Just check your owners manual for locations and sizes. Have someone listen for the fuel pump to turn on.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also use propane torch gas in air intake, If it fires you have fuel problem . or try ether careful not to much,good way to crack a piston or have a run away motor

OP
OP
B

Bryteone

Reaction score
Thank you all! It was definitely the fuel pump. Got it fixed and it's running like a champ again!