05 3v running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Adams

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down a strange issue with my expy. It runs RICH. However, there are no codes at all being produced. I replaced all 8 injectors about 3ish years ago with the updated part numbers that fixed the leaky/stuck ones from the factory. So I'm relatively sure it's not that. I'm just not sure why it would be running so rich. It seems like at idle/slow speed round town stuff it's worse than if I can get some expressway/highway driving. Sometimes there's a hint of rough idle, but its slight and not all the time. What values in FORSCAN should I be looking for to give me some hints? I don't think my little bluetooth OBDII with TORQUE Pro is going to give me the insight I need. Could I have some bad plugs and they're working enough to not trigger misfire?

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Rob Adams how do you know it is running rich, and what are the symptoms? Have you looked at the plugs, and are they black, for example? If it affects all 8 cylinders, the first things coming to my mind are MAF (or a vacuum leak causing weird MAF output), cats, O2 sensors, and EGR (may not affect mixture but symptoms similar).
As for Forscan, I don't know. But I would get on Youtube and look up Scannerdanner and of course Ford Tech Makuloco. Both have a lot of content using scanners for diagnosis.

OP
OP
R

Rob Adams

Reaction score
@Rob Adams how do you know it is running rich, and what are the symptoms? Have you looked at the plugs, and are they black, for example? If it affects all 8 cylinders, the first things coming to my mind are MAF (or a vacuum leak causing weird MAF output), cats, O2 sensors, and EGR (may not affect mixture but symptoms similar).
As for Forscan, I don't know. But I would get on Youtube and look up Scannerdanner and of course Ford Tech Makuloco. Both have a lot of content using scanners for diagnosis.
The fact that I nearly get gassed out with raw/rich fumes from the tail pipe when the windows on the passenger side are down is the big give away. Plus gas mileage SUCKS.

I have absolutely not pulled the plugs due to the fact I'm not willing to have to go through the headache of extracting broken ones just to check the color. I'm trying to go minimal invasive at this point and if one of those bastards breaks off I'm now in it a lot more than just trying to get some things to look at from the ECU side. Other than the rich aspect the car runs/drives fine and no codes, so it leaves me scratching my head. If I had bad O2/CATS/EGR it should toss codes. I'll pull the maf and look at it tonight as that's a pretty easy thing to do. Torque shows the o2 sweeps as pretty similar and consistent, but torque is not a fully fleshed troubleshooting tool, hence why i'm trying to see if there's anybody out there that could give me some values or at least a starting point in Forscan.