05 expedition limited 5.4, NEW:alternator, starter, battery, fuel filter STILL slow crank NO START

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlarryiv

Reaction score
New to the DIY feild btw. Im now suspect to look into my spark plugs to make sure im getting fire. also cant figure out the slow drain on my battery. also ran out of oil a month ago. it shut off. no visible leaks or evidence of. i refilled and it started up. some kinda safe mode activated that i need to disable???

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to the DIY feild btw. Im now suspect to look into my spark plugs to make sure im getting fire. also cant figure out the slow drain on my battery. also ran out of oil a month ago. it shut off. no visible leaks or evidence of. i refilled and it started up. some kinda safe mode activated that i need to disable???
Well slow crank wouldn't be caused by the plugs. Didnyou check all the lines to make sure they weren't corroded? Welcome.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have seized the bearings, all of them. That starter has a lot of torque. You need to look for a new Reman engine. No 'Safe Mode' after no oil on these engines or any other.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen on a 2008 engine where a cam chain tensioner had broken off & jammed in the crank/chain sprocket. Engine would not turn over at all. Happened all of a sudden the owner said. Low miles on engine but virtually no basic lubrication maintenance (didn't change or check oil). Engine was replaced since it was a farm truck. Still had original tires on it.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can put a wrench on your crank and see if you blew the engine with no oil. The crank floats on .03 in of film of oil as it spins at 1000 to 5000 rpm this generates a lot of heat with no oil. There are what a called bearings between the crank and the block which is a thin piece of metal. If the bearing has heated up and sized that's one thing. You can also get what's called a spun bearing when that thin metal becomes dislodged and scratches the block and crank. Both repairable however unless you want to learn how to rebuild the engine a swap would be easier.

Just above the oil pan on the front of the engine is the crank Pulley. Its like a 3/4 socket. Put a breaker bar on that and it should spin freely clockwise. Give it 20 lbs or so of torque. It could spin either way but I would just try to spin it in its normal direction. If that spins freely you engine is not sized. If you spin it counter clockwise you may remove the bolt so just go clockwise. The bolt on the end just holds the Pulley on. Also a good idea to use a six point socket so you don't round off the bolt.
If your gonna buy a new one just for this.