05 Expedition need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmlm3014

Reaction score
Was on my way to Ford to have a diagnosis done for some issues my car was having and I had just recently bought it. On the way there oil pressure dropped and a loud knocking was coming from the engine, could not get it to Ford so my brothers helped look at it and my timing guide broke so replaced that, chain and gear. Then needed new starter and now the oil pressure stays good but it wont go over 2500 rpms. It bogs out. But when I first start it it sounds perfect and strong just when it gets warm it bogs out and loses pressure, anyone have any idea what it could be? I have 5 kids and no other vehicle to transport them in and Ford camt get to diagnose it now for almost a month.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When they replaced the timing chain set and guides did they remove the oil pan and clean out the oil pump pick up screen ? Or replace the oil pump with a high volume Melling oil pump ? If they didn't, they need to remove the cross member, remove the oil pan, and remove all the old busted up chain guide pieces from the oil pump intake screen. Use at least a synthetic 10w-30 oil in the motor, not that 5w-20 junk. '05 was the worse year for the Expeditions. Sorry, but I would be looking for another vehicle.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
It sounds like the oil pickup is gathering crap from timing guides as it's running. That's why it starts fine and sounds good, and slowly gets worse. Wont go above 2500 RPMS Prolly as a safety feature, "limping" with low/high oil pressure depending on the clog, so as not to grenade engine.
Have your brothers finish the timing job by cleaning debris from oil pan, clean pickup and screens and oil change it. I would also use a Full Synthetic oil...but hold off on the full syn until you know its gonna come back from the oil pan cleaning - just use a decent (any really) 10w 30 or 40.

And I'm sorry. Im tempted to agree with hamfist above and suggest an alternative vehicle, but, 5 kids, and just trying to make it is a $hit place to be having these problems and doesn't sound like a replacement using the cards. But, common sense will help you. I know your brothers are trying to help, but only doing half the job, well, you know. You dont have to wait for help, you can drop the oil pan and do the cleanup. You tube vids galore, those. A container and sine basic tools and you can do this.

If bot that, sell it to your brothers that "fixed" it then get something else. [emoji1787]

Seriously though, best of luck. We'll help as much as we can.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TomB985

Reaction score
Is the check engine light on? If so, have you scanned it for codes?

I don’t buy the theory there is a restriction at the oil intake, that just doesn’t make sense. Engine has no mechanism to monitor oil pressure except for the switch that opens at five psi. Unless you see the low oil pressure light, the PCM reads completely normal pressure and will act accordingly. So there is no mechanism to limit power, It’s just not that smart.

To me it sounds more like you have a cam timing issue after the work you just had done. As the engine warms up, camshaft timing is adjusted with mixture, and if one of the sprocket is a tooth off the engine can behave badly. I’m not done a job like this, but they're notoriously easy to screw up for someone that hasn’t done one before.

Last edited:

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
So, I have done this and it is easy to screw up, just setting the tensioner incorrectly can do this.
I was unaware that the level of monitoring wasn't there. Most all vehicles attempt to protect from low/no oil pressure- some low tech. (One I saw had a physical switch that oil forces closed when pressure is good, if it's not closed, it leaves a vacuum leak that could cause this)
I was hoping the truck had something similar. If you are saying it doesn't, and there isn't anyway low pressure could cause this - then opening up and checking the timing is the best bet. But, if it was set wrong initially, the chances of the same folks seeing it a single tooth out are NOT good. Guessing and adjusting, and getting it wrong is worse.
I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

I'd still drop the pan and check for debris...worse case you find nothing. Best case, well maybe the truck turns into a Suburban.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk