05 Expy 4x4 Camshaft Sensor Code Bank 1. 4 mechs can’t figure it out. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordexplanation

Reaction score
2005 expedition 4x4 with 2 CEL: Camshaft Sensor Bank 1 and Intermittent. Previous codes: system too lean, engine misfires on 5 cylinders.

4th mechanic now that hasn’t resolved issue. Work completed: new camshaft sensor, coils and plugs on a couple cylinders 3/4/7, fuel injector on 7, two vacuum leaks fixed, new battery, MAF sensor cleaned, oil change new tires etc. It’s driving strong now, but check engine light stays on with camshaft sensor code.

Also, the engine chassis ground strap is cutoff or missing. Could this be the issue?

Got the expy from my dad, who let it sit for 2 covid yrs on the ranch. Evidence of rat living air intake. Truck has 170k miles and I gotta drive it back to Florida real soon. California is impossible with smog reqs.

Thanks for reading. Hoping there’s a fix to this one.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there is no ground from the engine to the frame fix that first. It's cheap, fairly easy and good grounds are critical on these computer controlled vehicles. You cannot have too much ground, but you sure can have too little.

OP
OP
F

fordexplanation

Reaction score
My late reply here, but thanks for your replies to this issue.
Will be replacing the chassis ground cable today. No idea who cut the cable or why they did it.
Update: Ford dealership mechanics recommend longblock replacement. Said need to see cam phasers, chains, tensioners but no guarantee that will clear code.
Head mechanic mentioned that bad/old oil or even an oil pump pressure could be to blame for cam phaser issue. Again, cam phaser sensor has been replaced.

OP
OP
F

fordexplanation

Reaction score
To answer Hamfisted, no prior service records exist, but no reason to believe camphasers, chains, tensioners have been replaced.

If any shred of possibility this is electrical connection or PCM, I guess I would want to explore those fixes before assuming I need a new engine.
Any ideas?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I was you I wouldn't put any more money into it. The Ford dealer knows the issues with that motor. That's why they just recommend a long block replacement to offer a warranty on the work. 2005 was the first year for the 3 valve motors in the Expy and it was a ticking time bomb. You would be better off leaving it parked on the ranch and buying something else. Especially to drive across country in.

OP
OP
F

fordexplanation

Reaction score
“Being stubborn is a virtue when you’re right, it’s only a character flaw when you’re wrong.”

- Chuck Noll.

Hamfisted, I hear what you're saying, and I may just leave it on the ranch here in Cali. Once I get back to the promised land (florida) though, wont worry about biennual smog checks.

Turns out, I was able to fix the codes for a minute and immediately took it to pass smog. Glad i did, cuz the misfires (P0300) came back on in 200 miles. I've driven it 1200 miles now (RT Sac to San Diego) and it wasnt until the El dorado hills that a blinking CEL came back on. These misfires trigger when engine under load.

When code P0021 (VCT solenoid) came on, we removed the pigtail connector and discovered both VCT solenoids (bank 1, 2) had engine oil inside the connection. Cleaned w/ Q-tips until dry, and removed the codes to pass smog. At least helped me finish registration and get title. Did i mention my disdain for California?

I cycled the engine up to 3000+ RPM after cleaning solenoids, and now a CEL P0307 comes on for misfire on cylinder 7. What is going on here?

Can I just put a smiley face sticker over the CEL and whistle dixie? Will i wreck the cat or engine with a 3800 miles trip?