06 Expedition Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi ya'll. New member, first post. Just looking for some input. My wife has a 2006 Expedition, 2WD. She's coming up on 100k miles and was making an appointment to bring it in to the dealership to have the 100k mile service performed. The dealer said it was $450 to change the spark plugs, plus an additional $100 for the first plug that breaks, and $50 for each additional plug that breaks after that. I couldn't believe it, but I've read some other posts and understand there is an issue with the plugs for this year vehicle. I called two other dealerships and they were basically the same price. A local repair shop wanted even more and said they may have to remove the entire engine??? Since the car runs great right now (knock on wood), do we need to get them done, or should she just keep driving it? I thought about doing it myself, but I'm clearly not qualified based on the YouTube video I just watched. I called Ford to complain, and they said they've provided a procedure to remove the plugs and aren't aware of any issues, what a joke. Any input is greatly appreciated.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My usual state of mind is if it isn't broke don't fix it, but it is scheduled maintenance for a reason!

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is really odd. I have seen all of the turmoil over the plugs so I called my dealer to find out a cost also. He told me $229, and I forgot how much per broken plug. Mine is an 06 also and has 71k on it right now. The guy told me he has a mechanic that hardly ever breaks them and makes sure to get the motor hot before doing them. I was debating getting it done now to hopefully spare them from breaking and I have a slight miss, but I am debating trading it in on a newer one also. Not sure where you are in GA, but I am in FL - you may want to make a phone call down a little further south of you and see what they say. I only called the one place because I figured I would not be able to beat that price. Hope this helps, Mike.
PM me if you want the dealers name that gave me the quote over the phone because I don't think we can mention on here, but they are in the Tampa Bay area of FL.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldget them changed. If there the original plugs. The longer they stay in the harder they are to get out.

06WhippleExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bring it to my shop in st pete, i am expierenced in these trucks ill change them for 500 Bux ill change plugs ultrasonic clean the injectors oil change and filter change and make sure everything else is up to par

Dr. Soos Customs
St Pete fl

2006 Ford Expedition Whipple S/C Lightning Swap
Eagle ESP Forged Rods
Sealed Power Ceramic Coasted Forged Pistons
Sealed Power Stainless Steel FileFit Rings
Stage 3 Ported Polished PI Heads (218cfm/195cfm +/- 3)
Ferrera Stainless Valves
Crower Stage 3 Blower Cams Degreed
2003 Lightning Forged Crank
Canton 7 qrt Oil Pan / Mesh Windage Tray
ARP2000 Head/Main/Rod
Whipple 2.3L with Custom Midplate and Inlet
9" Lower 3" Upper Pulleys 23 PSI
60lb Injectors
Twin Walbro 255's
Kenne Bell Boost a Pump
Kenne Bell Boost a Spark
Sniper Tuning Weapon X 80k Volt Coils
Bazooka 95mm MAF
Custom Fabricated Long Tube Headers 3.5"

606 rwhp 23 psi

moondog

Reaction score
I just got mine done today at 91,000 miles and it was $650 not counting the new accel coils. It was hard to find a shop around here that would do it other than the stealership. Stupid design

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thing I haven't checked on, and I think I saw it here, is that after they're removed, are there new re designed, one piece, long reach replacements? I understand how they break from all the You Tubes. Mine I'm sure are the originals. I only have 48K on my '05. But I'm not clear on whether the originals are three piece plugs and whether there are new, one piece designs to replace them. I might be confusing all this with information that the 3 valve heads were re designed for '07 and up trucks to take normal plugs. Also, while on the subject, there are You Tubes for "factory recommended" cool engine, NON impact removal, and then ones that show a guy removing them from a hot engine with an impact, stating that he never had a problem with this method. What gives?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly luck. The new design is usually a one piece. I think one or two manufactures still do two pieces.